Henry Purcell (1659-1695) Hail, bright Cecilia!
Ode for St. Cecilia's Day, Z. 328
Gabriel Consort & Players
dir. Paul McCreesh
1. "Hail, brigt Cecilia!"
Susan Hemington Jones, soprano
Timothy Wilson, countertenor
Mark le Brocq, tenor
Peter Harvey, bass
2. "Hark, hark, each tree its silence breaks"
Timothy Wilson, contertenor
Charles Pott, bass
Hail! Bright Cecilia, Hail! fill ev'ry Heart!
With Love of thee and thy Celestial Art;
That thine and Musick's Sacred Love
May make the British Forest prove
As Famous as Dodona's Vocal Grove.
Hark! hark! each Tree its silence breaks,
The Box and Fir to talk begin!
This is the sprightly Violin
That in the Flute distinctly speaks!
'Twas Sympathy their list'ning Brethren drew,
When to the Thracian Lyre with leafy Wings they flew.
1. G. Reni, St. Cecilia, 1606
2. B. Cavallino, The Ecstasy of St. Cecilia, 1645
3. C. Saraceni, Saint Cecilia and the Angel, c. 1610
4. N. Poussin, St. Cecilia, 1627-28
5. A. R. Mengs, St. Cecilia
6. B. Strozzi, St. Cecilia, 1620-25
7. J. Blanchard, St. Cecilia
8. G. da Fabriano, St. Cecilia
9. Domenichino, St. Cecilia, 1617-18
10. A. Gentileschi, St. Cecilia playing a Lute, c. 1616
11. A. Gramatica, St. Cecilia with two Angels, 1620-25