I've had potato leek soup in many restaurants and I have to say, most just are inadequate. And there is no reason for that!! It is a really simple recipe. Just spice it up a bit and be creative with additional ingredients and stunning garnishes. This soup is really great for the fall and winter months!
6 Russet potatoes
1/2 onion chopped
2 Oz. Garlic finely chopped
5 Oz. Bacon chopped
8 Oz. Heavy cream
1-2 Oz. white wine
2 Qrts. Chicken stock
1 Pound cooked Chorizo sausage
1. Pre- heat your oven to 375 degrees
2. Peel your potatoes and quarter them
3. Remove the dark leafy parts of the leeks. Halve the leeks and cut into 1 inch chunks. ( Reserve 1 half of a leek )
4. In a bowl place the leeks and potatoes and coat with olive oil.
5. On a baking sheet, place the potatoes and leeks evenly in a single layer.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
7. While they are a baking, take your reserved leek, slice thinly, place in a cold sauce pan, and add oil. Enough to just cover the leeks. Over medium heat, cook for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. At that point remove and place on a paper towel to drain any excess oil. Season with a pinch of salt. Reserve.
8.Ten minutes before your potatoes and leeks are done heat 2 oz. of olive oil over medium high heat for 45 seconds in a large pot. The pot should accomodate. 2 gallons.
9. Add the onions, garlic, and bacon. Cook for 6-7 minutes.
10. Remove your cooked potatoes and leeks and add them to your pot along with the white wine.
11. Add the chicken stock and heavy cream and bring to a boil.
12. Taste and season accordingly. Boil for five minutes.
13. Blend with a hand mixer, food processor, or blender. Blend 80% of ingredients leaving some chunkiness.** If using a blender, blend a small amount at a time as the steam builds up and could force the top to blow off potentially burning you!!!
14. Add your Chorizo sausage.
15. Time to plate. Garnish with reserved leeks, sliced scallions, and a dollop of sour cream if you wish.
Yield 12 portions based on a 100 Oz. recipe.
Nutritional information is an estimate derived from a
Portion 8 Oz.
Fat calories 80
Total fat 9g
Sat fat 4g
Total carbs 23g
Dietary fiber 2g