This is a tutorial on how to make Fallout 3 work on Windows 7. You can call it a fix if you will.
When you make a new game and then it crashes, then watch this, because it may fix it.
Or when your able to start a new game, but at the end of the into trailer, it crashes.
FYI: JUST SO YOU KNOW FALLOUT 3 WAS NOT BUILT FOR WINDOWS 7 THAT'S WHY IT HAS BAD COMPATIBILITY WITH IT!!!!!!!
d3d9.dll link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ot8tm7szvl...
(If it says it has a virus from Norton, it's wrong.)
If you don't believe that I have the .dll in my Fallout 3 folder, goto 1:43, and it's in there.
Ctrl+F Search: SMainMenuMovieIntro=
sIntroMovie=Fallout INTRO Vsk.bik
This is just a better tutorial from "fallout 3 new game crash fix" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c47UXd...
1. Download d3d9.dll (ONLY FROM THE LINK ABOVE)
2. Once its done downloading, drag/drop in to your Fallout 3 folder (Computer [hard-drive] Program Files (x86).
3. Start the game and it should work!
Optional Steps (ONLY IF PREVIOUS STEPS DIDN'T WORK):
4. If that didn't work, right click your fallout 3 shortcut
5. Look for "fallout.ini" or fallout_default.ini" Click on one of them.
6. Press "Ctrl+F" and type in: SMainMenuMovieIntro=
7. Delete: SMainMenuMovieIntro= , SIntroSequence=, sIntroMovie=Fallout INTRO Vsk.bik
8. Save and Exit "fallout.ini" or "fallout_default.ini"
9. Go to "data" in your fallout 3 folder, then videos.
10. Find "Fallout INTRO Vsk.bik"
11. Delete, or drag and drop somewhere besides anything Fallout 3 (ex: Desktop)
12. Play Fallout 3!
IF YOUR GETTING ACCESS DENIED:
1. You have to be the administrator on your computer, or know the username/password of the administrator.
2. Type in the windows search "uac" or "user account control" or control panel - view by: small icons (top right of control panel) - User Accounts - Change User Account Control settings -
Slide the bar down to "Never Notify" - Okay.
If your getting the xlive.dll error, just search "xlive.dll" on google, and the first or second link will be a .dll download site. Just download it, and extract IT INTO YOUR Fallout 3 folder! and it should work. (If you don't know how to extract, download 7zip, and drag the file into 7zip, and then press "Extract To" and Just Click Your Fallout 3 folder. Don't double click it! Then extract. and your done.
Recording: HyperCam 2, Fraps
Editing Software: Sony Vegas 7
Music: Some random audio swap..
If all that didn't work try this (I copied this from a comment):
"the game engine has some issues with processors that have more than 2 cores. You can force the game to only use two of them and it will stop the freezing. I haven't had it freeze once since I did this several days ago.
Open up the fallout.ini file in: My Documents\My Games\Fallout3
Find the line:
change it to:
Add another line after it and insert:
This will limit the game to 2 cores and prevent the engine bug from causing the game to freeze.
Which will limit to ONE core."
Try installing this unoffical patch: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mod...