Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Sep 10, 2013
Tour Scotland wee video of photographs of Greenock, Renfrewshire. The fishing village of Greenock developed along this bay, and around 1635 Sir John Schaw had a jetty built into the bay which became known as Sir John's Bay. In that year he obtained a Charter raising Greenock to a Burgh of Barony with rights to a weekly market. In 1714 Greenock became a custom house port as a branch of Port Glasgow, and for a period this operated from rooms leased in Greenock. Receipts rose rapidly from the 1770s, and in 1778 the custom house moved to new built premises at the West Quay of the harbour. Greenock suffered badly during the Second World War and its anchorage at the Tail of the Bank became the base for the Home Fleet as well as the main assembly point for Atlantic convoys. Of interest to folks with ancestry, genealogy or Scottish Family Roots in Scotland who may wish to visit one day.