How to make these 2 delicious sidedishes. Check the recipe here at
Ingredients: Perilla leaves (135 grams: about 3 cups), 3 tbs fish sauce, ¼ cup of onion, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 stalks of green onion, 1 ts honey , 1-2 tbs hot pepper flakes, roasted sesame seeds, carrot (2 tbs)
1.Wash and drain 135 grams (about 3 cups) of perilla leaves and put them into a basket. *tip: wash both sides of each leaf in running cold water and shake to drain water
2. Next, let's make kimchi paste! Put these ingredients in a bowl and mix them together with spoon: 4 cloves minced garlic, 2 chopped green onions, ¼ cup amount of sliced onion, 2 tbs of carrot cut into matchsticks, 3 tbs fish sauce, 1 -2 tbs hot pepper flakes, 1 ts honey.
3. Spread some paste between the leaves. *tip: You don't need to put paste on every leave but every 2 leaves
Now you made kkaennip kimchi! Gratz! : ) Put the kimchi in a container and keep it in the refrigerator.
Serve with rice and sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds before serving.
Kkaennip jangajji (Korean style perilla leaves pickles)
Ingredients: 1 pound of Perilla leaves (about 450 grams), soy sauce (1½ cup), a medium size apple, 1 medium size onion, 4-5 cloves of garlic, 1 cup water, 2 jalapeno pepper, 1 tbs of sliced ginger.
1. Wash and drain 1 pound of perilla leaves and put them into a basket. *tip: Wash the both sides of each leaf in runny cold water and shake it to drain water
2. Prepare 1½ cup soy sauce to salt the leaves.
3. Pick some perilla leaves (about a dozen leaves) and put them into a large bowl. Drizzle soy sauce directly between the leaves, little by little.
4. Repeat until you used all the leaves. (You will see some soy sauce on the bottom of the bowl)
5. Turn the leaves over a couple of times to salt evenly and wait about 1 hour.
6. 1 hour later, squeeze the leaves slightly and put them into a container.
7. Transfer the liquid of soy sauce brine to a pot.
8. Add 1 cup of water, 1 medium size sliced onion, 4-5 cloves garlic, 1 medium sized sliced apple, 1 tbs of sliced ginger to the brine.
9. Bring to a boil for 30 minutes over medium high heat.
10. Strain the brine and cool it down until it reaches room temperature.
11. Pour the brine onto the leaves in the container and keep it in the refrigerator.
Serve with rice! When you serve it, transfer some leaves to a serving plate and garnish with roasted sesame leaves and shredded red pepper (called shilgochu or silgochu: 실고추).