here are the goods:
first you need to read this tutorial carefully:
then you need to download and extract the Android SDK to "Program Files" on you hard drive:
DO NOT DOWNLOAD HAYKURO'S RECOVERY IMAGE OR CUSTOM ROM. (it will brick your phone!)
Download these files instead:
Make sure your htc magic is linked to the PC through the Android sdk files you downloaded with usb x86 drivers.
(if you don't know how to do that follow this link):
If the Haykuro's tutorail seems too confusing, follow these steps,
1. Once you've pair your htc to the pc properly, you'll go to your start menu and click on "run".
2. type: "cmd"
3. Type: cd\
4. type: cd program files
5. type: cd Android-sdk-windows-1.5_r2
6. type: cd tools
7. plug in your phone
8. on your phone, click on settings, click on applications, click on development, and check off "usb Debugging"
9. now on your computer type: adb devices
10. you should see your device's serial number on you PC.
11. now remember that daldroid recovery image you downloaded, extract it to the "tools" folder in the sdk file you have in Program files.
12. Rename that daldroid recovery image to : recovery-new.img
13. now for that other file you downloaded, (that daldroid singed rom file) DO NOT EXTRACT IT. keep it as a zip file and drag and drop it to that same "tools" folder in the android SDK file and rename it "update"
14. Now do exactly the same thing to your freshly formated (fat32) SD card in your phone. through your computer via usb (extract the daldroid recovery image to the sd and rename it (recovery-new.img). Also drag and drop the Rom File to that sd too. and rename tha too to (update) DO NOT UNZIP IT!
15. once you successfully put the files on you phones sd card. Turn off your phone.
16. press the back button and the end key at the same time.
17. now on your PC, type: fastboot boot recovery-new.img
18. you will see the rogers logo loop once and that you'll see your phone's fast boot screen.
19. make sure, to follow these steps carefully next or all this will not work!
20. first, wait 45 second to allow your sd card to mount. next scroll to nandroid backup and click on it. once the backup is finished, click on "wipe" this will erase the phone to factory. Next apply the sd backup.
( This step will only work if you remembered to rename that
rom file you transfered to the sd as "update" like i mentioned earlier.)
21. once done, simply scroll to reset devise.
22. your almost done!
23. once fully rebooted and you see the green android robot at the boot sceen, press the menu button and you'll see "apn", click on that and put theses settings.( This will allow your data connection)
24. under name, type: Roger
25. under apn, type: internet.com
26. under username, type: wapuser1
27. under password, type: wap
28. now press the menu button and save it.
29. your finally done! and you have your very own "rooted phone"
Thanks for watching and i hope this tutorial helped!
PS: I'm Not liable for Damages to your phone if you didn't do it right. All the steps are there and if you mess up once, you can alway follow these steps again to help.