Halloween cake decorating: How to make a kitty litter cake recipe
It's a trick...it's a treat...it's a Kitty Litter Cake! It's perfect for a gross out Halloween party. Kids and adults will be delighted and repelled! Here's how to make your own kitty litter cake, courtesy of comedian Lizz Winstead and kitsch king Bruce Littlefield, author of Garage Sale America.
1. Invert 13 x 9 chocolate cake into a new (unused) litter box. The cake and litter box create the base for the kitty litter cake.
2. Place one 12-ounce package of vanilla creme cookies in a large resealable plastic bag and pound cookies with a mallet or by hand until the cookies are broken into small pieces.
3. Sprinkle the crumbled cookies on top of the chocolate cake.
4. Generously sprinkle cookie crumbs with green colored sugar or green sprinkles. The green color creates the look of chlorophyll in real kitty litter.
5. Place 6-8 unwrapped Tootsie Rolls® in a microwave safe dish and microwave until melted.
6. Scrape melted Tootsie Rolls® out of the bowl with a small spoon and form the umm, you know....
7. Bury the melted Tootsie Rolls® and place more on the surface of the cookie crumb mixture to achieve maximum gross-out.
8. To serve, place new (unused) kitty litter pooper scooper in the kitty litter cake. To serve on a table, place the kitty litter cake on top of newspaper adorned with a few sprinkles of "kitty litter". Or, do as Lizz Winstead suggests and walk around your Halloween party offering guests a scoop of your kitty litter cake.