Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Jan 4, 2012
At the end of a project at a construction site in 2002, it turned out to be "the day" for Tom Dickey. A small job had been added to the day's directional boring work—after Tom's safety gear had already been sent back to the shop. He made a decision in favor of time and efficiency instead of safety to go ahead and dig a 40-foot section of conduit. He suffered life-changing burns and injuries when he came into contact with underground power lines. This decision almost cost him his life. As an experienced professional he knew all of the correct procedures, but while adjusting the conduit's path in the ground, he made a small slip and received a high-voltage shock. This kind of electric contact inflicts burns on a person—from the inside-out—that can continue to burn after contact. He survived, but he spent months in the hospital undergoing surgeries—including skin grafting. This is Tom's story. 1-4-12