Vlog #9: Thanks, everyone -- see you all on the other side of the slice and dice!





The interactive transcript could not be loaded.



Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Nov 21, 2010

Ah yes. Slice and dice day is only a few hours away. Some tidbits on my prep, for those who have been following things...

Photos: We had a great early Thanksgiving with my brother and his family -- my sister-in-law Miranda and Mr. E, our nephew. And Mr. E is expecting a new brother in a few months -- Mr. C! Anyway, we celebrated with non-traditional food -- BBQ beef brisket, mac and cheese, caesar salad and scones from Foster's Market, something here in Durham that Tim and Miranda miss dearly up in Delaware. I couldn't eat much, but I had a taste of everything.

We took a nice long walk around the lake near my house with the doggies, and spent the evening playing Scattegories and making fools out of ourselves singing answers to 80s music trivia before turning in last night. My singing is godawful. It's a wonder Casey and Chloe didn't howl when I sang "Take My Breath Away."

They left early this AM and we miss them already. Along with the constant pain from the fibroids, my fibromyalgia has been acting up a lot today, and the diabetic neuropathy in my feet (permanent nerve damage; the good BG control hasn't helped that at all) kicked my posterior after the walk yesterday. But it was worth it to have fun with family in the beautiful fall weather here. The trees are losing their leaves, but there is still plenty of color to enjoy.

The fun begins early

Kate and I have to get up early tomorrow (Monday) -- we have to be over to Durham Regional Hospital at 5:45 AM for the 7:15 AM surgery. Of course I don't expect they'll have me out cold on the table and operating then; none of the surgeries I've had ever started on time. The fact I'm the first one in the queue is good though.

So since I have insulin-dependent diabetes and have spent the last month on a crash course of frequent blood glucose testing, 8 to 9 needles a day, a new injectable meds and juggling a very carb-restricted diet to get to a stable 8.0 A1C (average almost non-diabetic control), I'm quite ready to get this whole shebang on.

Watching my numbers

My major issue, given the above, is how I handle my oral and injectable meds tonight so that if there are delays, I do not have a hypoglycemic crash during surgery. As many of you know, during the last month this has been my major issue during this stiff regimen. Tight control almost always comes with higher risks of low blood sugar attacks that come out of the blue. And I've had them at night and at work (testing as low as 52; people pass out at 40), but I have been able to stave off passing out by keeping sugar-based stuff (Starbursts/Sweetarts) on me all the time.

So the deal is I can take all of my oral non-diabetes meds tonight; no Glucophage, only 15 units of long-acting insulin (Lantus), and no short-acting insulin (Humalog) tomorrow AM.

All of the painful, irritating run up to this -- the increased number of needles, the low-blood sugar crashes, will all be worth it if I come through this healthy and no infections occur, the increased risk of infection is the biggest risk for anyone with diabetes when it comes to surgery. I'll have to remain on this horrid regimen for several weeks post surgery until I am in the clear re: infection.

The state of health care today (in my case, anyway)

I am fortunate to have health insurance through my employer, but of course these days that doesn't mean people are scot-free when it comes to the vagaries of the health care industrial complex. Some notable amusements:

* the 24-hour turnaround: I am having a total laproscopic hysterectomy, which means I actually get to stay in the hospital overnight, kicked out early on Tuesday (barring complications). If for some reason the surgeon has to switch to an abdominal incision, then I would probably be in another day or so.

* the pre-pay call for money: I received a call last week from the hospital; Kate took the message so I called them back, thinking it was about my pre-op appointment the next day. I call and it's the financial accounting department for the hospital, asking me how I wanted to pay my deductible in advance. I could choose from installment payments or taking the whole hit on my credit or debit card, but it didn't sound like billing you after the fact was an option. When I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago, I don't recall that occurring.

Anyway, I chose to take the full hit now, figuring that if I kick it during surgery, Kate won't be left with that bill. LOL...

More at my blog, Pam's House Blend. http://pamshouseblend.com/diary/18039/


When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next

to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...