Upload

Loading...

Thirsty Koala - A Firefighter Gives Koala A Drink (2009 Australian Bushfires)

1,464,617

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Uploaded on Feb 10, 2009

The Southern Ash Wildlife Shelter cares for injured wildlife and did a tremendous job rehabilitating Sam the Koala until her passing from an unrelated infectious disease.

Please visit their website here:

http://www.samthekoala.com.au/

... and consider a donation because they are literally working out of their kitchens and lounge rooms.

We are all sad at the news of Sam's passing however, it's important to note that Sam was put to sleep due to a condition unrelated to the Bushfires.

Her condition was 'urogenital chlamydiosis' and is caused by a infection of the intracellular bacteria in the genus Chlamydia, which is transmitted via sexual activity and also vertically to offspring.

The Queensland University of Technology is developing a vaccine for the bacterial infection which is looking very promising in the trial phases.

Before Green Fanatics get the chance to blame this on habitat destruction by 'invading' Europeans, let me say that researchers actually believe Chlamydia was bought into Australia by early Aboriginal tribes from Asia over 40,000 years ago. It now affects approx 50% of the Koala population.

The reason Sam was put down is because as the disease develops it can become quite painful.

Loading...

When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next


to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...