How to Change the Battery in a Volkswagen Car Key
1. Flip out the metal key.
2. Wedge the screwdriver into the crack that runs on the outside of the key fob.
3. Carefully twist the screwdriver to pry apart the two halves of the key fob. You will see the battery inside.
4. Use the tip of the screwdriver to push out the old battery.
5. Insert the new battery in its place.
6. Snap the two halves of the key fob back together.
flat thin screwdriver
3V CR2032 lithium battery - about $4.00 @ Target
This demonstration was done on a 2006 jetta key fob that had been run over and was a little mangled - my friend's son had glued some sort of strap to the keyring part making it a little difficult to separate the bottom half to get at the battery - you should have an easier time of it.
this will normally separate into 2 halves. My friend's had been damaged and her son glued a strap to the bottom making it a little harder to get apart.
CAUTION! According to the Owner's manual, if you press the lock/onlock buttons too many times when out of distance of the car, you may have to reprogram your fob.
IF you have a Bentley Continental GT key fob, this forum post shows the trick - it's a bit different design as it doesn't separate in the middle.http://forums.vwvortex.com/...