51st International Vocal Competition - Opera | Oratorio
9 - 16 September 2017
's-Hertogenbosch | Eindhoven | Netherlands
- Roberta Alexander, soprano | IVC Jury
- Thomas Hampson, baritone | IVC Prizewinner
- Nadine Koutcher, soprano | IVC Prizewinner
- Sergei Leiferkus, baritone | IVC Jury
- Nelly Miricioiu, soprano | IVC Prizewinner | IVC Jury
- Lenneke Ruiten, soprano | IVC Prizewinner | IVC Jury
- Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, soprano | IVC Jury
- Pretty Yende, soprano | IVC Prizewinner
- Hansung Yoo, baritone | IVC Prizewinner
The International Vocal Competition, based in the historic city of 's-Hertogenbosch, is the only classical singing competition in the Netherlands that involves opera, oratorio as well as art song with an important emphasis on 20th-century and contemporary music. The competition has been held since 1954 and offers participants the chance to perform for an international jury, casting directors, concert managements, impresarios, the media and a concert loving audience.
This year's Jury is composed of prominent singers Jennifer Larmore and Sergei Leiferkus, as well as various artistic directors, such as Joel Ethan Fried (Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam), Jesús Iglesias Noriega (Dutch National Opera), opera manager Eva Wagner-Pasquier and opera consultant Pieter Alferink. President of the Jury is Nicholas Payne (director Opera Europe).
The 51st Competition's total prize money amounts to € 45,000 and various engagement prizes are also offered. Finals with the South Netherlands Philharmonic under conductor Kenneth Montgomery.
The competition includes masterclasses, media training, jury feedback, plus a career development program. Travel refund possible for (semi-)finalists and accommodation at host families.
The IVC is open to singers of all nationalities.