Shipley Energy has a long, proud legacy of service to York, PA and the surrounding communities. Our origins date back to 1929 when Thomas Shipley founded the Roosevelt Garage and Supply Company, which served as a place for employees of nearby York Manufacturing to service their automobiles. More than 85 years later, we still adhere to our original core business philosophy: providing superior service, one customer at a time.
Tremendous Growth Fueled by Mergers and Acquisitions
Shipley Energy has been able to achieve tremendous growth through numerous mergers and acquisitions over the course of eight decades. Key events over the years have included:
• 1939 – Purchase of the York Oil Burner Company, a manufacturer of oil-fired residential and commercial oil heating equipment
• 1943 – Restructuring of the company for the purpose of manufacturing, installing, fueling and servicing oil furnaces and boilers, and providing automotive fuel and supply services. We also began the operation of several Esso (the forerunner of Exxon) service stations in the York area
• 1957 – Merger with Humble-Mundis, Inc. to form the Shipley Humble Division. The new division acquired additional fuel oil companies in 1960 enabling Shipley Humble to double the size of our fuel oil business.
• 1968 – Formation of Shipley-Humble of separate business entity
• 1970s – Entry into the self-service gasoline and convenience store business
• 1988 – Changing of the company name to Shipley Oil Company
• 1995 – Entry into the natural gas market
Continued mergers and acquisitions over the past two decades have enabled the company that is now known as the Shipley Group — which includes Shipley Energy and Tom’s Convenience Stores — to expand its operating territory throughout central Pennsylvania and beyond. Shipley Energy is now the largest locally owned provider of home heating energy in the central Pennsylvania region. We also offer installation and service of HVAC equipment and an assortment of indoor air quality services.
Shipley Energy Continues to Look to the Future
Now in our fourth generation of family ownership under the guidance of William Shipley III, Shipley Energy continues to take aggressive strides towards becoming a full-service energy company that is capable of serving the needs of commercial and residential customers throughout our ever-expanding operating territory. We’re still driven by the same purpose that has fostered our growth and success over the years.
We Value the Local Community
At Shipley Energy, we also understand the importance of giving back to the local community. We’re involved in numerous charitable and volunteer activities in York, PA and the neighboring communities in an effort to make our entire service area a better place to work, live and play.
Contact Shipley Energy for Your Residential or Commercial Energy Needs in York, PA and Beyond
The next time you need reliable residential or commercial energy solutions from a company you can trust, turn to the experts at Shipley Energy. Contact us today to learn more about our wide range of cost-effective energy services.