"To celebrate the tradition of live orchestral music and enrich the lives of people throughout our region."
"To celebrate the tradition of live orchestral music and enrich the lives of people throughout our region." The orchestra was formed in 1922 in conjunction with Augustana College as "The Town and Gown." It was incorporated in November of 1965 as the Sioux Falls Symphony, and finally declared the South Dakota Symphony Orchestra in 1985 by proclamation of Governor William Janklow. In 1978, the Dakota String Quartet was formed as the first full-time, salaried musicians with the orchestra. The Dakota Wind Quintet was formed in 1982, taking the number of full-time musicians up to 9. Maestro Delta David Gier became the Music Director in 2004 and has taken the orchestra to unprecedented artistic levels.