The Prinsentuin is the city park of Leeuwarden, Friesland. The Prinsentuin was built by order of Prince Willem Frederik van Nassau. This was a tribute to the end of The Eighty Years’ War, Dutch War of Independence from Spain (1568-1648). This park was closed to the public for 150 years. It was rebuilt several times. In 1795 King Willem donated this park to the Leeuwarden community. In 1822, the park was rebuilt by architect Lucas Pieters Roodbaard. In 2004, the marina was built in the park. In 1989, Theo Douma built a restaurant in this park, is known as De Koperen Tuin, named after Simon Vestdijk’s novel. The restaurant was opened by widow Mieke Vestdijk. “Fietsend meisje in laatste oorlogswinter” is a war memorial, a gratitude to all the women and girls who took care of others during the war. Nowadays The Prinsentuin is a wonderful place to walk, sunbathe, to have a picnic and to hang out with friends. On sunny days, people come here to meet and enjoy the sun. The marina in this park is one of the most beautiful marina of the Netherlands. There is a grand café next to a romantic lake and a stage for music. Pier Pander museum is also next to the park.