In 6 minutes and 51 seconds Civil Designer 2014 extracts an existing road design from a 3D drawing, adds two new lanes to this road, designs three new intersecting roads and three intersections with two associated plan drawings that include the intersections’ setting out information. The steps demonstrated are as follows:
1. Start with a plan view of the existing road.
2. Select a Road file to work with and set the design defaults in the Road Control Panel. ( set the road Strings design method, the road Template, the crossfalls, the Road widths and the kerbs to be used in the design)
3. Design the first road using the Regression function to Extract Strings including the Stake line and the Left and Right road edges from the CAD lines of the existing road.
4. The Vertical Alignment and the road edge heights are picked up from the survey of the existing road which has been imported into the DTM Surface 1.
5. The Road Recalculate design wizard completes the road design automatically.
6. Show the Road Cross sections and the Plan view of the road simultaneously.
7. Also show the new Road Strings Shading functionality.
8. Use the Regression Extract Strings function to extract the new road widening from CAD lines and retain the crossfalls of the existing road cross sections. Show the cross sections to verify the retained crossfalls.
9. Select a new road file to design the Left intersecting road and set the design defaults in the Road Control Panel.
10. Use the Regression Extract Alignments method this time to extract the Horizontal and Vertical Alignments and then pick up the Road Edges from the CAD lines.
11. Design the Intersection using the Roads Junctions and specify a centre curve radius of 15m for both the left and right bellmouth.
12. Also design the Right intersecting road using the Extract Alignments method.
13. Design the intersection but this time Extract the bellmouth geometry from CAD entities.
14. Finally design the smaller intersecting road using Extract Alignments.
15. Also design this intersection with the Extract from CAD entities method to define the bellmouth geometry.
16. Edit the intersection and change the bellmouth template to the main road template.
17. Display the Road String Contours at 100mm intervals and then also activate the Slope arrows to see how the water will drain off the road surface.
18. Have a look at the Plan Layout to see the Intersection Setting out data. The Key points are labelled in the Plan View and the Intersection Table is populated.