Kenfig Hill & District Male Voice Choir Annual Carol Concert - Pisgah Chapel, Kenfig Hill Monday 12 December 2016 at 7pm
Pisgah Chapel, Kenfig Hill - Brief History (1836 - Present) The First Chapel was opened on Christmas Day 1836 & had an entrance via an outside porch - the land for the Chapel was obtained from the Margam Estate. It was decided on Christmas Day in 1839 that Pisgah should become a Chapel.
In 1857 the Chapel became too small for the community & was demolished - services at that time were then held in the barn of Pwllgath Farm in Kenfig Hill.
The Second Chapel was re-built and opened on Christmas Day in 1857 where the Bryndu Colliery Choir sang. In 1901 a joining of both Pisgah Chapel (Kenfig Hill) & Nebo Chapel (Cefn Cribwr) was made where services were held at both Chapels during that year.
In 1906 a Vestry was built at Pisgah Chapel.
The third & present Pisgah Chapel was opened on 30 April 1913 & was unusual as it had stained glass windows, rounded corners to the interior (which make for fine accustics of the building) together with modern lighting (of the day) & central heating.
In 1918 the joint pastorate with Nebo in Cefn Cribwr was served but was affected by the First World War & financial burdens were imposed on the running of the premises - the Chapel at this time was used for celebrity concerts, oratorios, lectures, eisteddfodau and amateur dramatic performances by Pisgah Chapel's own society.
In 1951 the Rev. T.M. Williams who had served the church & community for 50 years dreamt of clearing the Chapel of its debts by which time in 1971 they had been.
A famous visitor to Pisgah Chapel was Pastor Niemoller, the former German U-Boat Commander of the 1914-1918 Great War. He was, in his latter days one of the foremost opponents to Adolf Hitler & Nazism and protagonist of the rights of the individual.