GUIDING THE MARINER SINCE 1791
GUIDING THE MARINER SINCE 1791 Happisburgh Lighthouse is the oldest working light in East Anglia, and the only independently run lighthouse in Great Britain. Originally two lights were established and first lit on 1st January 1791 to form leading lights, guiding ships around the treacherous Haisborough Sands. The Low Light was later discontinued in the 1880s. Saved as a working light by the local community, it is maintained and operated entirely by voluntary contributions.