The Mill on Route 66 in Lincoln, Illinois opened in 1929 under the name of the Blue Mill, on Stringer Avenue (original Route 66 alignment...
The Mill on Route 66 in Lincoln, Illinois opened in 1929 under the name of the Blue Mill, on Stringer Avenue (original Route 66 alignment in Lincoln). It’s proprietor was Paul Coddington, who would serve patrons grilled sandwiches at any hour of the day or night. A Dutch themed building with blue trim, it featured at revolving windmill and waitresses dressed in blue with white aprons. In 1945, Albert and Blossom Huffman purchased the building, added a barroom and dance hall, and then painted the building barn red. Over the years, the restaurant became famous for it’s fried schnitzel, originally made of veal, and later of pork. By the mid 1980’s the Mill had lost most of the Dutch themed interior, and was becoming a museum of rather strange objects, including a mechanical leg protruding from a hole in the ceiling. The Mill closed in 1996, however is under restoration into a museum by the Route 66 Heritage Foundation of Logan County, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.