Germinating a mango seed to grow a mango tree can be tricky, because the outer shell of the mango is quite hard and not that easy to open.
The second challenge is to germinate the seed avoiding seed rot. Growing a mango tree from seed worths it, because it is a beautiful plant and is fun looking at it grow.
Its leaves are soft and have brown color while growing, but once they mature they will turn dark green and firm.
I keep my plants indoors as house plants but if you have a garden you can grow them outside to fully enjoy what this tree can give you. Here is how I germinate mango seeds right now.
☆ How to germinate a mango seed: ☆
1. Clean the outer shell of the seed so you can hold it securely. I like to remove the remaining mango flesh with a knife.
2. Make a small opening on the shell with the tip of a knife or by using scissors.
3. Use the small opening to open the shell fully. Be careful, take care of your hands and the seed.
4. Remove the thin layer of skin from the seed if you can.
5. Put the seed into a container on a wet paper towel. Add some water but not too much! This is important.
6. Check on the seed every day or every other day to see if the moisture in the container is enough or not. If there is too much moisture change the paper towel and add smaller amount of water this time.
This is something to experiment with to know how much water to use. If your seeds rot easily you need less water.
Mango seeds germinate around 10 days. Once you see the root growing you can plant it in a well draining soil.
I have used perlit to improve the soil I had at home at the time. It was a peat based flower soil mixture.
Water your seedling regularly but do not overwater it, it can't tolerate too much water. It might rot or it can get bacterial infection (small black spots might appear on its leaves).
If you see black spots on the leaves remove the leaves as soon as you can and reduce the watering - this is just my advice, that helped my plants.
Thank you for watching the video!
I wish you happy mango growing!
- - - - - - - - - About - - - - - - - - -
Hi! I am Adrienn Ecsedi. I enjoy creating, learning and sharing what I have learned.
Growing plants at home is a very relaxing activity. Makes me feel calm and be present in the moment.
I would like to share this peaceful feeling with you and encourage you to grow your own plants as well.
This is what this channel is all about. Enjoy! :)
P.S.: I also create animal designs, digital paintings and videos for my other channels, see links below.
- - - - - - - - - Connect with me - - - - - - - - -
☆ MY WEBSITE: http://adriennecsedi.com
☆ INSTAGRAM: https://instagram.com/adrie...
Support me and my YT Channels:
☆ Get my artworks as prints, calendars, t-shirts, phone cases and more at my:
- Redbubble Store: http://www.redbubble.com/pe...
- Zazzle Art Store: http://www.zazzle.com/adrie...
- My Animal T-shirts at Zazzle: http://www.zazzle.com/lillf...
My YouTube Channels:
☆ Art and Creator Channel: https://www.youtube.com/cha...
☆ Indoor Gardening Channel: https://www.youtube.com/cha...
☆ Life Channel: https://www.youtube.com/cha...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -