As part of our move from Los Angeles to Detroit, we are taking a cross-country road trip retracing our steps that led us to LA 15 years ago. Part of that will include a Video Blog to include voices: yours, and others. We want to create dialogue around the very important notion, which is Biblical, just, and beautiful, that diversity truly matters but that we don't do a great job appreciating it. Here are just some of the questions I'd like to ask people in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Washington DC, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and Ohio. If your state isn't along our route, feel free to upload a video and send it to me through YouTube!
1. What are some of the ways we can define or determine who our neighbors are? How should service, volunteering and public service, work into this?
2. What are some of the cultural, racial, ethnic, and generational differences in your community?
3. How do we love each other through these, or make space for our differences?
4. Who are modern day Samaritans, or “those people” on the “other side of the tracks?”
5. What questions would you ask someone outside of your race if you weren’t afraid of asking the question “wrong,” weren’t worried that the question itself might offend?
6. What might the difference between “Color-Blind” and “Color-Brave” be?
7. Do you think the over-criminalization of black and brown people hurts everyone in the US? If so, how?
8. Have you ever been hurt by someone from another race? Have you ever been blessed by someone from another race, particularly in a way that surprised you?
9. Is active anti-racism part of following Jesus for you, if you consider yourself a Christian?
10. Is there anything you feel is often misunderstood about the culture group you stem from? Is there one thing you wish you didn't always need to explain to people? Is there one thing you wish people just understood?
11. Is there anything else you’d like to share about race relations?
Also, Marvin Wadlow Jr. and I are gearing up to come lead workshops in a town near you, so if you're interested in bringing us to your school, your church, or your business, please send inquiries here:
the Table Setters: www.facebook.com/TheTableSetters