NASA Night Sky Of The World
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 5, 2012
The night side of Earth twinkles with light, and the first thing to stand out is the cities. "Nothing tells us more about the spread of humans across the Earth than city lights," asserts Chris Elvidge, a NOAA scientist who has studied them for 20 years.
This new global view and animation of Earth's city lights is a composite assembled from data acquired by the Suomi National Polar-orbiting Partnership (Suomi NPP) satellite. The data was acquired over nine days in April 2012 and thirteen days in October 2012. It took satellite 312 orbits and 2.5 terabytes of data to get a clear shot of every parcel of Earth's land surface and islands. This new data was then mapped over existing Blue Marble imagery of Earth to provide a realistic view of the planet.
The image was made possible by the satellite's "day-night band" of the Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS), which detects light in a range of wavelengths from green to near-infrared and uses filtering techniques to observe dim signals such as city lights, gas flares, auroras, wildfires and reflected moonlight.
Named for satellite meteorology pioneer Verner Suomi, NPP flies over any given point on Earth's surface twice each day at roughly 1:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. The polar-orbiting satellite flies 824 kilometers (512 miles) above the surface as it circles the planet 14 times a day. Data is sent once per orbit to a ground station in Svalbard, Norway, and continuously to local direct broadcast users around the world.
The mission is managed by NASA with operational support from NOAA and its Joint Polar Satellite System, which manages the satellite's ground system.
Credit: NASA Earth Observatory/NOAA NGDC
Add "Don Browne" ( http://gplus.to/donbrowne ) to your Google+ circles and subscribe to the YouTube channel.
http://swflorida.blogspot.com - Southwest Florida Online
Standard YouTube License
- 1:29:59 Evacuate Earth (death by a neutron star) full movie in HDby Vesta MediaDOQ995,399 views
- 16:58 NASA WTF Did You Do To Piss Off E.T - STS107 I Want ANSWERS On This One 11-21-2013by DarkSkyWatcher74346,535 views
- 1:30:00 Down To The Earths Core National Geographicby Patrick Carta516,216 views
- 40:49 The True History and Purpose of NASAby gmoore491,192,814 views
- 45:08 (HD) Earth Under Water in Next 20 Years - National Geographic Documentaryby Prabhjeet Documentaries1,114,307 views
- 1:58:54 MUST WATCH Aliens Earth Takeover 2013 Full Length possible Aliens running the World Alertby Pete WDHCo1,483,225 views
- 35:57 NASA: The End Of Mankind "Leaked Document" 2013by ADGUKNEWS1,083,706 views
- 1:26:15 Music Morning Musingsby Don Browne
- 2:41 The Black Marble + Earth at Night by NASAby 1HarryH23,120 views
- 1:30:01 National Geographic: The Story of Earth HDby ClimateState360,846 views
- 27:15 The Navy Navigation Satellite System (1967)by usnavyhistory4,121 views
- 1:15:29 Saturday In LaBelle, Floridaby Don Browne
- 46:21 A-HA - Minor Earth Major Sky (full album)by maadlus3,421 views
- 28:32 2000 and Space - First Orbitby 2000andSpace293 views
- 14:55 What Is That Really Bright Object in The Night Sky? ...Whistleblower reveals ALL! (10th Nov 2013)by Thyalwaysseek2,314 views
- 10:01 NASA's Alien Anomalies caught on film - A compilation of stunning UFO footage from NASA's archivesby LunaCognita13,859,980 views
- 4:49 What an Astronaut's Camera Sees at Night (from ISS)by SpaceRip1,080,500 views
- 5:30 NASA Releases New Video of the World at Night from Space - Feb. - March. 2012by TruthBehindScenesTV8,112 views
- 4:05 Earth in full HD. The recording by Landsat-7 and Terra EOS AM-1 satellites. NASA 2011by WalkingWithYouAlone8,488 views
- 1:37 Mars Curiosity NEW FACE Footageby looknowtv718,651 views
- Loading more suggestions...