"The Disintegration Loop" - William Basinski
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 8, 2009
Just an extract from "The Disintegration Loop"; I let the exaustive review from Pitchfork.com:
You are slowly being destroyed. It's imperceptible in the scheme of a day or a week or even a year, but you are aging, and your body is degrading. As your cells synthesize the very proteins that allow you to live, they also release free radicals, oxidants that literally perforate your tissue and cause you to grow progressively less able to perform as you did at your peak. By the time you reach 80, you will literally be full of holes, and though you'll never notice a single one of them, you will inevitably feel their collective effect. Aging and degradation are forces of nature, functions of living, and understanding them can be as terrifying as it is gratifying.
It's not the kind of thing you can say often, but I think William Basinski's Disintegration Loops are a step toward that understanding-- the music itself is not so much composed as it is this force of nature, this inevitable decay of all things, from memory to physical matter, made manifest in music. During the summer of 2001, Basinski set about transferring a series of 20-year-old tape loops he'd had in storage to a digital file format, and was startled when this act of preservation began to devour the tapes he was saving. As they played, flakes of magnetic material were scraped away by the reader head, wiping out portions of the music and changing the character and sound of the loops as they progressed, the recording process playing an inadvertent witness to the destruction of Basinski's old music.
The process may be the hook for this sprawling four-disc set, but the loops themselves are stunning, ethereal studies in sound so fluid that the listener scarcely registers the fact that it's nothing but many hundreds of repetitions of a brief, simple loop that they're hearing. I imagine that life within the womb might sound something akin to these slowly swelling, beauteous snatches of orchestral majesty and memory-haze synthesizer. The pieces are uniformly consonant, embellished with distant whalesong arpeggios and echoing percussion.
In essence, Basinski is improvising using nothing so much as the passage of time as his instrument, and the result is the most amazing piece of process music I've ever heard, an encompassing soundworld as lulling as it is apocalyptic. A piece may begin bold, a striking, slow-motion slur of ecstatic drone, and in the first minute, you will notice no change. But as the tape winds on over the capstans, fragments are lost or dulled, and the music becomes a ghost of itself, tiny gasps of full-bodied chords groaning to life amid pits of near-silence. Some decay more quickly and violently than others, surviving barely 15 minutes before being subsumed by silence and warping, while the longest endures for well over an hour, fading into a far-off, barely perceptible glow.
There is another, eerier chapter to the story of the Disintegration Loops-- that Basinski was listening to the playbacks of his transfers as the attacks of September 11th unfolded, and that they became a sort of soundtrack to the horror that he and his friends witnessed from his rooftop in New York that day, a poignant theme for the cataclysmic editing of one of the world's most recognizable skylines. Removed from the context of that disaster and transposed into the mundane world we live in every day, The Disintegration Loops still wield an uncanny, affirming power. It's the kind of music that makes you believe there is a Heaven, and that this is what it must sound like.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Disintegration Loops (1.1 Excerpt II)" on
- 45 videos Play all YouTube Mix - "The Disintegration Loop" - William Basinski
- 1:02:18 William Basinski - d|p 1.1by Drakemirow Featured 182,440
- 1:00:06 William Basinski - Silent Nightby Lucas Geniar12,742 views
- 41:54 William Basinski - D|P 3by Regentzable23,240 views
- 52:27 The Caretaker's An Empty Bliss Beyond This Worldby alteredzones144,078 views
- 6:59:52 Robert Rich - Somnium (7h Complete Masterpiece)by MrRainSpirit85,393 views
- 42:15 William Basinski: Vivian & Ondineby Baptism of solitude26,193 views
- 40:37 William Basinski - Disintegration Loop 6 (dlp6)by AstralRag31,528 views
- 38:43 The Disintegration Loops (Live) - William Basinskiby musicwotshudbeheard7,341 views
- 5:53 William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops 3by retbutler1521,346 views
- 32:40 William Basinski - D|P 2.2by Regentzable9,969 views
- 5:31 Gardens & Villa- Chemtrailsby bowiecurrie7015,158 views
- 4:40 Gardens & Villa - Carrizo Plainby Lars Ole Meyer24,887 views
- 6:17 The Disintegration Loops box set by William Basinskiby carianoff3,128 views
- 10:00 William Basinski - The Garden of Brokennessby Antonio de Luca14,438 views
- 25:12 William Basinski - dp 5by Gvidas Mickevicius25,971 views
- 1:00:08 William Basinski - "Watermusic"by Muzik Eater6,238 views
- 30:38 Silent Hill: The Pledge (NEW SH Fangame) Let's Play (+Download+Review)by MagnusSpikesGames18,751 views
- 14:57 Disintegration Loop 4by kogler11,041 views
- 7:08 Gayngs - The Gaudy Side of Townby WhatAreTheYouthToDo80,833 views
- 6:35 william basinski. melancholia iiby noemptyspace4,285 views
- Loading more suggestions...