CIPR Guest Lecture Carl Christopher, Sponsorship & Content Manager
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 18, 2009
Leeds Business School opened the fourth year of its CIPR guest lecture series in great style, with Carl Christopher offering a fascinating insight into his vast experiences in the communications industry. The lecture, which took place on Monday 5 October, was the first to be held in the new state of the art business school home, the Rose Bowl.
Carls experience includes working with major organisations such as Kiss FM, New Musical Express (NME) and Sony Computer Entertainment UK (SCE UK). His lecture focused mainly on his time with SCE UK and his success with PlayStation.
Working as part of a team that helped to make the brand iconic, as well as selling over 10 million PS2s, Carl was well equipped to provide guests with credible advice that will undoubtedly be of use in the future. Carl revealed that the crucial secret to the PlayStation campaign had been focus. He emphasised that the message was not about technology, but more about the PlayStation experience. The strategy was to embrace counter and pop culture, utilising the cult atmosphere of action sports, music, design and the arts. By targeting niche events such as music festivals and skate park events through sponsorship, Sony managed to push the brand out and position PlayStation as culturally valid.
Carl went on to share his thoughts on the changes in mass communication, commenting on how the news is now celebrity-driven and how brand lifecycle models are becoming increasingly obsolete. The lecture concluded with a lengthy Q&A session and one final piece of advice: [that] it is vital to create new stories of quality and value.
The next guest lecture will be delivered by Andy Carter, Head of Communications at Leeds City Council, on Monday 19 October in Lecture Theatre A at the Rose Bowl. Everyone is welcome to attend.
Standard YouTube License
Next in Research, Teaching & Learning
- 28:40 Talk About the North - Antony Clavaneby LeedsMetUni 163 views
- 54:20 CIPR Guest Lecture - Sarah McCartney 'Inside Out'by LeedsMetUni 1,616 views
- 52:41 INN Guest Lecture - The Whiskas Storyby LeedsMetUni 1,690 views
- 38:48 CIPR Guest Lecture - David Child - Quest PRby LeedsMetUni 1,124 views
- 1:11:34 Guest Lecture: Senator George Mitchell - Olof Palme Memorial Peaceby LeedsMetUni 1,070 views
- 55:09 Billions of Entrepreneurs: How China and India are Reshaping Their Futures an...by GoogleTechTalks 89,618 views
- 44:43 INN Guest Lecture - John Dennis - Team 17by LeedsMetUni 629 views
- 1:29:31 Digital Era Part I: What's Next? | Center for Communication at The New Schoolby thenewschoolnyc 583 views
- 10:28 Sponsorship Proposal Basics in About 10 Minutesby PowerSponsorship 34,493 views
- 52:22 JAMES Conference - Steve Lawson Keynoteby LeedsMetUni 1,565 views
- 50:13 Carey Business School Dean's Lecture Carolyn Wooby Johns Hopkins 1,424 views
- 22:34 CIPR TV - In conversation with Barry Leggetter, Executive Director AMECby webchatsmoderator 413 views
- 1:11:35 The Business of Sportsby WestVirginiaU 951 views
- 1:52:40 Apple Macintosh Marketing Story: Fact & Fictionby Computer History Museum 28,309 views
- 1:34:28 Reflections on the World Economyby UChannel 2,409 views
- 1:10:52 Davos Annual Meeting 2010 - Will India Meet Global Expectations?by WorldEconomicForum 23,706 views
- 57:44 Last Lectureby North Central College 284 views
- 47:00 Talk About the North - Dave Russellby Leeds Metropolitan University 346 views
- 10:56 User Interfaces for the TV of the Future: Jorge Graça at TEDxEdgesby TEDxTalks 842 views
- 53:38 Talk About the North Bill Lancasterby LeedsMetUni 285 views
- Loading more suggestions...