Ignore the Spiel about the Motorcycle Helmet Law Repeal
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 13, 2011
A fictional conversation between Sen. Stan Fornuthin and a motorcyclist named EZ Rider, illustrating the absurdity and lack of common sense behind the campaign to repeal Michigan's decades-old motorcycle helmet law.
This animoto video was provided by the motorcycle accident lawyers at Michigan Auto Law.
For more information about Michigan motorcycle accidents, visit the Michigan Auto Law motorcycle accident resource center at http://www.michiganautolaw.com/motorc.... It has frequently asked questions, insurance requirements for motorcyclists, and tips on what to do after a motorcycle crash.
For free advice from a motorcycle accident attorney, call Michigan Auto Law at 800-777-0028.
Here's the animoto transcript:
EZ Rider: Hi, I'm EZ Rider and I'm president of our state chapter of ABATE.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Glad to meet you. I'm Senator Stan Fornuthin.
EZ Rider: I want you to repeal the motorcycle helmet law requiring me to wear a helmet when I ride my motorcycle.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: But don't you know motorcycle helmets save lives and help protect riders from catastrophic spinal cord and traumatic brain injuries?
EZ Rider: Those are just vicious lies spread by people who don't want me to have fun.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: I don't know. Every year, twice as many motorcyclists die from head injuries in non-helmet states as do in helmet states like Michigan. And people who ride motorcycles without helmets suffer much higher rates of serious injuries.
EZ Rider: Everyone's entitled to their opinion
Senator Stan Fornuthin: What about the studies showing that after Florida, Kentucky and Louisiana repealed their mandatory motorcycle helmet laws, motorcycle deaths shot up 81, 50 and 100 percent respectively?
EZ Rider: When it's your time to go, it's your time to go.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Why then, with all the risks, is it so important that you be allowed to ride your motorcycle without a helmet?
EZ Rider: The freedom to do what I want to do is one of my inaleniable rights guaranteed by the Constitution.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Um, I think you're thinking of the Declaration of Independence, which is quite different.
EZ Rider: And if our founding fathers had wanted me to wear a motorcycle helmet, they would have said so in the Constitution.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: It just didn't occur to them.
EZ Rider: Or they believed in true freedom and individual liberty as strongly as I do.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: What do you mean by true freedom and individual liberty?
EZ Rider: I mean being free to do whatever I want without interference from the government telling me what to do.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: And who's going to pay for your lifetime of medical bills if while riding without your motorcycle helmet, you are seriously injured in a motorcycle crash?
EZ Rider: Medicaid.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Who funds Medicaid?
EZ Rider: The government.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Where does the government get the money to fund Medicaid?
EZ Rider: From taxpayers.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Wouldn't you be uncomfortable with that kind of "governmental interference" in your life?
EZ Rider: Definitely not.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: So, if we can say with absolute certainly that repeal of the motorcycle helmet law will cause more people to die and to suffer catastrophic physical injuries, and it's going to cost taxpayers more as more people are put on Medicaid to pay for this, why should I vote for repealing the motorcycle helmet law?
EZ Rider: Because I and hundreds of other members of ABATE will vote against you if you don't. We are single issue voters. We really, really want to ride with the wind in our hair.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Can you give me a lift back to the capitol building? I want to start immediately on repealing our motorcycle helmet law.
EZ Rider: Sure. My motorcycle is just outside.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Um, you don't mind if I wear a helmet?
Standard YouTube License
- Created using Xtranormal Movie Maker
- 14:42 How To Ride A Motorcycle: Episode 1 - Taking Off From A Stop And Shifting / Downshifting Tutorialby bakerXderek Featured 9,545
- 10:53 Helmet Law Rant (thoughts?)by lauriejennifer3,957 views
- 3:34 75 MPH Motorcycle Crash Helmet Camby Ron L87,148 views
- 41:43 Ron Paul's speech at Central Michigan University on 02/25/2012by superchicken7735,398 views
- 4:27 Motorcycle helmet laws: Michigan helmet repeal on Channel 4 Newsby MichiganAutoLaw632 views
- 19:15 Premium Modular Helmets - A Comparisonby Competition Accessories22,721 views
- 9:11 2013 Michigan Auto Law Diversity Scholarship Winner Amanda Bassby MichiganAutoLaw43 views
- 2:12 Attorney Steve Gursten talks increasing speed limit: Fox 2 News Detroitby MichiganAutoLaw112 views
- 7:20 NC Helmet Law Propaganda Videoby SRHOMER19631,749 views
- 4:14 Truck accidents caused by debris and unsafe truckersby MichiganAutoLaw237 views
- 9:59 How to fit a Motorcycle Helmetby RedlineMS501127,077 views
- 6:35 SNELL vs DOT vs ECE Helmets - Motorcycle Helmet Safety Ratings - Jafrum.comby JafrumVideos6,627 views
- 8:37 TLT-7 Michigan Helmet Law Repeal SB291by TheLenaweeTrekker175 views
- 6:24 Why You Shouldn't Wear a Motorcycle Helmetby Motonosity74,238 views
- 8:31 9 Custom Motorcycle helmets, 1 Epic missionby tigerpause444115,570 views
- 4:53 How Its Made - Motorcycle Helmetsby 1001HowItsMade55,591 views
- 10:54 MotorServ Buying Guide : Buying a motorcycle helmetby motorserv474 views
- 8:22 Law without Government: Principlesby Man Against The State46,550 views
- 16:04 My Favorite Motorcycle Gearby Motonosity21,074 views
- 2:09 Ohio Motorcycle Accident Myth No Helmet No Recoveryby Anthony Castelli5,565 views
- Loading more suggestions...