Ignore the Spiel about the Motorcycle Helmet Law Repeal
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 13, 2011
A fictional conversation between Sen. Stan Fornuthin and a motorcyclist named EZ Rider, illustrating the absurdity and lack of common sense behind the campaign to repeal Michigan's decades-old motorcycle helmet law.
This animoto video was provided by the motorcycle accident lawyers at Michigan Auto Law.
For more information about Michigan motorcycle accidents, visit the Michigan Auto Law motorcycle accident resource center at http://www.michiganautolaw.com/motorc.... It has frequently asked questions, insurance requirements for motorcyclists, and tips on what to do after a motorcycle crash.
For free advice from a motorcycle accident attorney, call Michigan Auto Law at 800-777-0028.
Here's the animoto transcript:
EZ Rider: Hi, I'm EZ Rider and I'm president of our state chapter of ABATE.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Glad to meet you. I'm Senator Stan Fornuthin.
EZ Rider: I want you to repeal the motorcycle helmet law requiring me to wear a helmet when I ride my motorcycle.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: But don't you know motorcycle helmets save lives and help protect riders from catastrophic spinal cord and traumatic brain injuries?
EZ Rider: Those are just vicious lies spread by people who don't want me to have fun.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: I don't know. Every year, twice as many motorcyclists die from head injuries in non-helmet states as do in helmet states like Michigan. And people who ride motorcycles without helmets suffer much higher rates of serious injuries.
EZ Rider: Everyone's entitled to their opinion
Senator Stan Fornuthin: What about the studies showing that after Florida, Kentucky and Louisiana repealed their mandatory motorcycle helmet laws, motorcycle deaths shot up 81, 50 and 100 percent respectively?
EZ Rider: When it's your time to go, it's your time to go.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Why then, with all the risks, is it so important that you be allowed to ride your motorcycle without a helmet?
EZ Rider: The freedom to do what I want to do is one of my inaleniable rights guaranteed by the Constitution.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Um, I think you're thinking of the Declaration of Independence, which is quite different.
EZ Rider: And if our founding fathers had wanted me to wear a motorcycle helmet, they would have said so in the Constitution.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: It just didn't occur to them.
EZ Rider: Or they believed in true freedom and individual liberty as strongly as I do.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: What do you mean by true freedom and individual liberty?
EZ Rider: I mean being free to do whatever I want without interference from the government telling me what to do.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: And who's going to pay for your lifetime of medical bills if while riding without your motorcycle helmet, you are seriously injured in a motorcycle crash?
EZ Rider: Medicaid.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Who funds Medicaid?
EZ Rider: The government.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Where does the government get the money to fund Medicaid?
EZ Rider: From taxpayers.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Wouldn't you be uncomfortable with that kind of "governmental interference" in your life?
EZ Rider: Definitely not.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: So, if we can say with absolute certainly that repeal of the motorcycle helmet law will cause more people to die and to suffer catastrophic physical injuries, and it's going to cost taxpayers more as more people are put on Medicaid to pay for this, why should I vote for repealing the motorcycle helmet law?
EZ Rider: Because I and hundreds of other members of ABATE will vote against you if you don't. We are single issue voters. We really, really want to ride with the wind in our hair.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Can you give me a lift back to the capitol building? I want to start immediately on repealing our motorcycle helmet law.
EZ Rider: Sure. My motorcycle is just outside.
Senator Stan Fornuthin: Um, you don't mind if I wear a helmet?
Standard YouTube License
- Created using Xtranormal Movie Maker
- 4:27 Motorcycle helmet laws: Michigan helmet repeal on Channel 4 Newsby MichiganAutoLawFeatured 538
- 6:49 Helmet Law Protest Rally - Madison, Wisconsin 1993by janboltnc 1,162 views
- 2:38 Michigan's Helmet Law Debate Continuesby JenningsBay 313 views
- 9:59 How to fit a Motorcycle Helmetby RedlineMS501 100,196 views
- 9:15 Let's Play Simpson's Hit and Run: Part 7: Cracked my Bicycle Helmetby VerticalSandwich 687 views
- 8:22 Law without Government: Principlesby grahampwright 40,127 views
- 8:37 TLT-7 Michigan Helmet Law Repeal SB291by TheLenaweeTrekker 150 views
- 2:20 My helmet saved my life (warning: graphic)by largecaliberlover 1,016 views
- 13:04 תמר קפסוטו ( Live Looping) חוקים + מגיע לי + זהby tamarcapsouto 293 views
- 1:59 Motorcycle Helmet Lawby WTNH 408 views
- 7:59 Why Rise in Motorcycle Deaths Hasn't Meant Tough Helmet Lawsby PBSNewsHour 1,036 views
- 5:00 Keanu Reeves and Norton Motorcycle Accidentby vision11apparel 1,406 views
- 10:21 Evart Motorcycle Trail II - Michigan Trail Rideby martwan10 885 views
- 4:37 Unboxing OSBE Rufus Motorcycle Helmetby Karlosun 161,351 views
- 5:28 Motorcycle Helmet Visor Law (UK)by danmoto73 6,589 views
- 1:27 Battle to overturn helmet lawby wxyztvdetroit 204 views
- 14:59 How to Choose a Good Motorcycle Helmet + 5 Helmet Reviewsby JonnyNoSkillz 23,572 views
- 3:35 Bike Helmet Law Costing Lives?by ANewsVanIsland 870 views
- 5:18 Ben: Regaining Independence & Overcoming Foot Drop with WalkAide after a Brain Injury (TBI)by WalkAide 1,688 views
- 1:59 12 Custom Motorcycle Helmets - Please VOTE for your favoriteby tigerpause444 159,353 views
- Loading more suggestions...