Isaac Asimov (1920- 1992 R.I.P.) April, 1986 Original air date You Tube Compression
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 24, 2009
Isaac Asimov (c. January 2, 1920 April 6, 1992; originally Исаак Озимов but now transcribed into Russian as Айзек Азимов), was a Russian-born American author and professor of biochemistry, best known for his works of science fiction and for his popular science books. Asimov was one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 9,000 letters and postcards. His works have been published in nine of the ten major categories of the Dewey Decimal System (the sole exception being the 100s; philosophy and psychology).
Asimov is widely considered a master of the science-fiction genre and, along with Robert A. Heinlein and Arthur C. Clarke, was considered one of the "Big Three" science-fiction writers during his lifetime. Asimov's most famous work is the Foundation Series; his other major series are the Galactic Empire series and the Robot series, both of which he later tied into the same fictional universe as the Foundation Series to create a unified "future history" for his stories much like those pioneered by Robert A. Heinlein and previously produced by Cordwainer Smith and Poul Anderson. He penned numerous short stories, among them "Nightfall", which in 1964 was voted by the Science Fiction Writers of America the best short science fiction story of all time, an accolade that many still find persuasive. Asimov wrote the Lucky Starr series of juvenile science-fiction novels using the pen name Paul French.
The prolific Asimov also wrote mysteries and fantasy, as well as a great amount of non-fiction. Most of his popularized science books explain scientific concepts in a historical way, going as far back as possible to a time when the science in question was at its simplest stage. He often provides nationalities, birth dates, and death dates for the scientists he mentions, as well as etymologies and pronunciation guides for technical terms. Examples include his Guide to Science, the three volume set Understanding Physics, Asimov's Chronology of Science and Discovery, as well as numerous works on astronomy, mathematics, the Bible, William Shakespeare's works and, of course, chemistry subjects.
Asimov was a long-time member and Vice President of Mensa International, albeit reluctantly; he described some members of that organization as "brain-proud and aggressive about their IQs", but also said that the only two people he had ever met who he would admit were more intelligent than he was were Marvin Minsky and Carl Sagan. He took more joy in being president of the American Humanist Association. The asteroid 5020 Asimov, the magazine Asimov's Science Fiction, a Brooklyn, NY elementary school, and two different and distinctive awards are named in his honor.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:06 Foundation 2014 (Asimov)by Canal de TheAguilaCommanderFeatured 675,665
- 1:49:16 2012 Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate: Faster Than the Speed of Lightby AMNHorg 82,800 views
- 44:23 Isaac Asimov Interview with Bill Boggsby BillBoggsTV 5,435 views
- 1:53:26 Rose Center Anniversary Isaac Asimov Debate: Is Earth Unique?by AMNHorg 39,954 views
- 58:57 Michio Kaku Pd.D - Original air date: Dec. 1991by Harold Channer 117,311 views
- 44:53 Isaac Asimov How Humanity Can Save The Earth for Humansby KingKahnTV 3,627 views
- Isaac Asimov 1,740 videos76
- 28:07 Isaac Asimov - The Last Questionby Colum Kelly 47,714 views
- 9:59 Isaac Asimov predicted the Internet of today 20 years agoby wTTwZZ 41,468 views
- 27 videos Play all Discussionsby Mike2103c
- 57:34 Marilyn Mach Vos Savant - Feb. 1986 Air dateby Harold Channer 98,281 views
- 2:02 La Metafora del Cuarto de Baño - Isaac Asimovby jacqueespa 270,134 views
- 1:22:41 Nightfall (1988)by TheMaestrulYoda 8,027 views
- 1:42:51 PT 1/3 Have Space Suit - Will Travel | Robert Heinleinby AlexandriaAudiobooks . 331 views
- 12:58 IQ 200+ | Smartest person ever (1 of 4)by HumanChemistry101 668,675 views
- 4:45 Carl Sagan destroys creationist in debateby tehjow's channel 394,022 views
- 3:30 Isaac Asimov's Robotsby GreatestMovieEverMad 25,509 views
- 3:28 Isaac Asimov. Su visión hacia el futuro.by S Oliwa 134,146 views
- 3:11 Foundation Trailerby Jlorhul's channel 118,684 views
- 8:13 FOUNDATION and EARTH (Isaac Asimov) 2011by Canal de TheAguilaCommander 56,959 views
- 42:34 Prophets of Science Fiction - Episode 7 - Robert Heinleinby darthom 409 views
- 39:32 Starship Troopers(audio book) by Robert Heinlein Part 07by FireAndIceMovie 3,155 views
- Loading more suggestions...