Paul Ryan: Hiding Spending Doesn't Reduce Spending
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 25, 2010
"I will not sign a plan that adds one dime to our deficits -- either now or in the future."
(Remarks by President Obama to a Joint Session of Congress, September 9, 2009)
This afternoon Budget Committee Ranking Member Ryan walked through why the bill put forward by Democrats FAILS the President's deficit test.
The Majority Leader said the bill scores as reducing deficit by $131 billion over the next 10 years.
First a little bit about CBO: I work with them every single day; very good people; great professionals. They do their jobs well. But their job is to score what is placed in front of them. And what has been placed in front of them is a bill that is fill of gimmicks and smoke and mirrors.
Now what do I mean when I say that?
First off, the bill has ten years of tax increases and ten years of Medicare cuts to pay for six years of spending. The true ten year cost when subsidies kick-in? $2.3 trillion.
The bill is full of gimmicks that more than erase the false claim of deficit reduction:
- $52 billion of savings is claimed by counting increased Social Security payroll revenues. These dollars are already claimed for future Social Security beneficiaries, and claiming to offset the cost of this bill either means were double-counting or were not going to pay Social Security benefits.
- $72 billion in savings is claimed from the CLASS Act long-term care insurance. These so-called savings are not offsets, but rather premiums collected to pay for future benefits. Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad has called these savings, A ponzi scheme that would make Bernie Madoff proud.
Additionally, the nearly half-trillion dollars in Medicare cuts cannot be counted twice. Medicare is in dire need of reform in order to make certain that we can ensure health security for future seniors.
Using Medicare as a piggy bank, it raids a half trillion dollars from retirees health coverage to fund the creation of another open-ended health care entitlement.
The Presidents chief Medicare actuary says up to 20% of Medicare providers may go bankrupt or stop taking Medicare beneficiaries as a result. Millions of seniors who have chosen Medicare Advantage will lose the coverage they now enjoy.
Objections to the policy aside, you cannot use these savings twice to both extend the life of Medicare and to pay for other spending. The half-trillion dollars in Medicare cuts are either to extend the programs solvency or to reduce the cost of this deficit but not both as its authors claim.
When you strip away the double-counting of Medicare cuts, the so-called savings from Social Security payroll taxes and the CLASS Act, the deficit increases by $460 billion over first ten years and $1.4 trillion over second ten years.
Finally, one of the most expensive and most cynical of the gimmicks applies to Medicare physician payments, the so-called Doc Fix.
By your own estimate, the Doc Fix adds an additional $371 billion to the cost of health care reform. With the price tag beyond what most Americans could handle, the Majority decided to simply remove this costly provision and deal with it in a stand-alone bill.
Ignoring this additional cost does not remove it from the backs of taxpayers. Hiding spending doesnt reduce spending.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:37 Paul Ryan's attempt for an adult conversation on debt & entitlement reformby AmericanRoadmap 80,125 views
- 9:10 Congressman Ryan Responds to Misguided Attacks on Roadmapby AmericanRoadmap 68,324 views
- 2:31 Paul Ryan on Health Care: Answers don't lie in Washingtonby AmericanRoadmap 44,696 views
- 4:11 Paul Ryan on MSNBC: This is the rule of man, not the rule of lawby A Roadmap For America's Future 32,962 views
- 0:06 Michelle Obama Stares At Barack Obama Cryingby Kennedy Thomas 1,283,045 views
- 31 videos Play all Paul Ryan and the RNCby TheChimneyash
- 9:24 OBAMA BANNED THIS VIDEO - GEE, I WONDER WHY!.flvby Lea11011 7,745,828 views
- RepPaulRyan's channel 251 videos4K
- 2:23 Paul Ryan Destroys Debbie Wasserman-Schultz in Obamacare Debateby 912erSTL 604,497 views
- 4:39 Reagan Warned Us About Obamaby 9deuel 3,605,044 views
- 1:42 Barney Frank vs. Paul Ryanby ThinkProgress.org 188,147 views
- 9:57 Obama Admits He Is A Muslimby FeelTheChangeMedia 9,836,380 views
- 2:50 Paul Ryan Takes Chris Matthews "To School" On Deficits and Taxesby First Patriots 485,928 views
- 3:50 Hitler Finds Out Paul Ryan is the VP Pickby Kyle Becker 163,929 views
- 17:20 Paul Ryan VP Full Acceptance Speech, "If you have a small Business, You Did Build That!"by MichaelSavage4Prez - Politics and More... 36,410 views
- 3:37 Paul Ryan attempts an adult conversation on debt & entitlement reformby RepPaulRyan's channel 609,410 views
- 5:07 Paul Ryan Debates Barack Obama in 2010by Andrew Kaczynski 135,855 views
- 2:53 Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) To Obama: "You're Not Listening" To The People!by Greg Hengler 132,987 views
- 8:17 Rep. Paul Ryan up closeby CNN 58,563 views
- 8:10 Paul Ryan on MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthewsby RepPaulRyan's channel 171,542 views
- 5:52 Glenn Beck on Paul Ryan: We don't need another John McCainby Right Scoop 14,689 views
- 27:33 Mitt Romney VP Announcement with Rep. Paul Ryan (C-SPAN)by C-SPAN 71,074 views
- Loading more suggestions...