Legendary Porsche 917 Le Mans Race Car Driven + Walk Around Commercial Carjam TV HD 2013
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 5, 2011
CARJAM TV - Subscribe Here Now http://www.youtube.com/carjamradio
Like Us Now On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CarjamTV
For The World's Best Car Videos
The Porsche 917 is a racecar that gave Porsche its first overall wins at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1970 and 1971. Powered by the Type 912 flat-12 engine of 4.5, 4.9, or 5 litres, the 917/30 variant was capable of a 0-62 mph (100 km/h) time of 2.3 seconds, 0--124 mph (200 km/h) in 5.3 seconds, and a top speed of over 240 mph (390 km/h).
There are 6 variants of the 917. The least-powerful version is the 917K (the most successful), which produces around 620 bhp. There is also a long-tail version (917LH), a "pig" version, modified 917K with the 908 rear spoilers and the 917/30. In the 1973 Can-Am series, the turbocharged version Porsche 917/30 developed over 1,100 bhp (820 kW), and as much as 1,580 bhp (1,180 kW) in qualifying tune.
The 917 is one of the most iconic sports racing cars of all time, largely for its high speeds and high power outputs, and was made into a movie star by Steve McQueen in his 1971 film Le Mans.
2009 marked the 40th anniversary of the 917, and Porsche held a special birthday celebration at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
On 9 August 1975, Porsche and Penske would give the Can-Am car its final send off in style, when they took their 917/30 to Talladega to break the FIA speed record on a closed circuit. With Mark Donohue driving, the average speed reached was 221.160 mph (355.923 km/h). As well as being the last official outing for the 917, it was the last major accomplishment for Donohue before his fatal accident in practice for the Austrian Grand Prix a week later. The record would stand until 1980.
Several 917 coupés as well as 917/10s (powered by turbos or NA engines) were run in Europe's Interserie until the mid-1970s.
Many 917 leftover parts, especially chassis, suspension and brake components, would be used to build the Porsche 936 in 1976.
Despite the car's impracticality, at least two 917s were road-registered.
Count Rossi of the Martini concern, bought chassis 030 from Porsche. He raced it once under the Martini Racing Team Flag at the Zeltweg 1000km World Championship race on 27th June 1971. After the race, it was returned to the factory where it was modifed with basic road equipment (exterior mirrors, turn signals, exhaust system and comfort modifications) and painted silver. European authorities refused to certify the car for road use and Rossi obtained the Alabama plate 61-27737 to circumvent the problems.
The second, for Joachim Grossmann, was painted white and given the German registration CW-K 917. The Danish car magazine Bilen in a 1977 article details how Grossmann bought the frame and other components of the original Chassis 021 which had crashed badly at Le Mans in 1970 for 20,000 DM, rebuilt it and then modified it (examples: turn signals, hand brake, Safety glass windows and some modifications to the exhaust system) to satisfy German safety inspectors leading to the registration. Grossmann's car is not officially Chassis 021 because other parts from the 1970 wreck at Le Mans were mated to spare frame components and retained the Chassis 021 designation.
Recently, high end replicas that use the flat-6 from the 911 have become available. One is built in Australia by Kraftwerkz, another in the US by Race-Car Replicas.
In addition, a grass roots "replica," the Laser 917, . which is essentially a rebodied VW Beetle, was featured in the film Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo.
The Gulf Oil liveried 917 Kurzhecks are also prominently featured in the Steve McQueen film Le Mans competing against Ferrari's 512 Coda Lunga.
In 1970,Hot Wheels released a Porsche 917 with some different designs.
Standard YouTube License
- 50:29 Le Mans- 100 Years of Passionby TheRacingJungle Featured 24,556
- 1:25 Carjam TV Shark Submarine Tested Demo Seabreacher Commercial - Carjam TV HD 2013by CARJAM TV740,733 views
- 2:14 ☆ Lewis Hamilton Steve McQueen Commercial Le Mans TAG Heuer Monaco :Carjam Car Radio Showby CARJAM TV38,428 views
- 1:42 2014 Porsche 918 RSR In Detail Commercial Detroit 2011 Carjam TV HD 2013by CARJAM TV4,116 views
- 1:53 Porsche 917 Race Cars Rennsport Reunion Commercial Carjam Car TV Show 2013by CARJAM TV1,603 views
- 1:48:42 Le Mans Full Movie 720pby casperakas9,279 views
- 9:05 Porsche 917, the Ultimate Racecar ever! Warm-up, and Crash!!by HubAndre193,194 views
- 9:29 917 engine starting - 1st time in 30 yearsby teamgunnar1,084,096 views
- 3:45 Restoration of the Porsche 917 from the movie "Le Mans"by lfuntasmo85,399 views
- 6:55 1973 Porsche 917/30 Can-Am Spyder $4,400,000by Robert Myrick A.K.A. - REMROB18,951 views
- 5:17 Street Legal Porsche LMK 917 Race Car, and Aston Martin Vanquishby kaerfirarref49,352 views
- 1:32:35 Truth In 24by Len Riojas152,201 views
- 10:30 Le Mans (movie)-Final Lapby CaesariotLeon122,767 views
- 2:01 Porsche 917K Flat-12 Pure Engine Sound - In Action on Trackby 19Bozzy92112,150 views
- 1:48:39 Le Mans cały filmby xBAZAx109,391 views
- 43:04 Porsche 956 & 962 Collection at Salon prive (2011)by fGearTV7,967 views
- 13:49 Flat Out In a Le Mans Winning Porsche 962 - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARSby /DRIVE460,318 views
- 3:04 Porsche 917-30by RacecarTV4,537 views
- 10:01 Porsche 917 (Le Mans Sieger 1970)by 914mm20,653 views
- 5:43 PBIR 12-29-08 917 Testby teamgunnar64,642 views
- Loading more suggestions...