The Kitchen Debate (Nixon and Khrushchev, 1959) Part II of II
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 21, 2009
This is Part II. Ampex fans will enjoy hearing, at 1:52 "This program is now being recored on Ampex Color tape, and it can be played back immediately and you can't tell that it isn't a live program..."
The Kitchen Debate was a series of impromptu exchanges (through interpreters) between then U.S. Vice President Richard Nixon and Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev at the opening of the American National Exhibition at Sokolniki Park in Moscow on July 24, 1959. For the exhibition, an entire house was built that the American exhibitors claimed anyone in America could afford. It was filled with labor saving and recreational devices meant to represent the fruits of the capitalist American consumer market. It was the first high-level meeting between Soviet and U.S. leaders since the Geneva Summit in 1955. It took place in a number of locations at the exhibition but primarily in the kitchen of a suburban model house, cut in half so it could be viewed easily.
The two men discussed the merits of each of their respective economic systems, capitalism and communism. It was recorded on Ampex color videotape, a new technology pioneered in the U.S by the Ampex company.; during the debate Nixon pointed this out as one of the many American technological advances.
Both men argued for their countrys industrial accomplishments, with Khrushchev stressing the Soviets focus on things that matter rather than luxury. He satirically asked if there was a machine that "puts food into the mouth and pushes it down". Nixon responded by saying at least the competition was technological, rather than military. In the end, both men agreed that the United States and the Soviet Union should be more open with each other. However, Khrushchev was skeptical of Nixon's promise that his part in the debate would be translated into English and broadcast in the U.S.
Ampex Data Systems Corporation is still on the forefront of technology development. More information can be found at www.ampex.com
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Nixon and Khrushchev at the Opening of the U.S. Fair" on
Past Classics Sound Byte
- 1:38 Johnny Carson Jokes About the 5th Anniversary of Richard Nixon's Resignation on "The Tonight Show"by Johnny Carson Featured 32,182
- 45:46 Nixon in China (The Film)by RichardNixonLibrary17,166 views
- 7:39 Nixon vs. Khrushchev - The Kitchen Debate (1959)by Max Power37,978 views
- 7:22 The Kitchen Debate (Nixon and Khrushchev, 1959) Part I of IIby AmpexDataSystems78,203 views
- 8:31 "Brezhnev's Visit" - Signing Agreementsby RichardNixonLibrary13,614 views
- 5:23 Three Years After "We Will Bury You," Nikita Khrushchev Tours Americaby SmithsonianMagazine14,679 views
- 17:56 CIA video briefing for Reagan: Moscow summit, 1988by nikitins5,308 views
- 13:41 Nixon's Dirty Trickster: LBJ Killed JFK | Interview with Roger Stoneby breakingtheset26,527 views
- 4:39 Reagan Warned Us About Obamaby Calvin King5,719,715 views
- 21:30 Sensacje XX wieku [B.Wołoszański] - Nikita Chruszczow [audycja radia ZET]by patriiot936,259 views
- 9:12 The Big Quadruplex Tour at M.B.T.by graphos107,404 views
- 6:24 State Department Translator--What's My Lineby crepehanger478,220 views
- 6:29 Eisenhower WRC-TV 1958 (oldest known colour videotaping)by oldtvhistory151,429 views
- 2:38 1960 Khrushchev's Shoeby Marshall Poe281,363 views
- 10:15 PRESIDENT KENNEDY AND KHRUSHCHEVby PublicResourceOrg5,352 views
- 3:14 Khrushchev on the Cuban Missile Crisisby The Choices Program52,905 views
- 26:33 Nikita Khrushchev: Between black & whiteby RT44,173 views
- 21:05 President Nixon's Farewell to the White House Staffby NixonFoundation50,858 views
- 3:25 Nixon with no expletives deletedby CNN41,717 views
- 2:28 Nixon and Khrushchevby politicalhack2861,092 views
- Loading more suggestions...