The Kitchen Debate (Nixon and Khrushchev, 1959) Part II of II
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 21, 2009
This is Part II. Ampex fans will enjoy hearing, at 1:52 "This program is now being recored on Ampex Color tape, and it can be played back immediately and you can't tell that it isn't a live program..."
The Kitchen Debate was a series of impromptu exchanges (through interpreters) between then U.S. Vice President Richard Nixon and Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev at the opening of the American National Exhibition at Sokolniki Park in Moscow on July 24, 1959. For the exhibition, an entire house was built that the American exhibitors claimed anyone in America could afford. It was filled with labor saving and recreational devices meant to represent the fruits of the capitalist American consumer market. It was the first high-level meeting between Soviet and U.S. leaders since the Geneva Summit in 1955. It took place in a number of locations at the exhibition but primarily in the kitchen of a suburban model house, cut in half so it could be viewed easily.
The two men discussed the merits of each of their respective economic systems, capitalism and communism. It was recorded on Ampex color videotape, a new technology pioneered in the U.S by the Ampex company.; during the debate Nixon pointed this out as one of the many American technological advances.
Both men argued for their countrys industrial accomplishments, with Khrushchev stressing the Soviets focus on things that matter rather than luxury. He satirically asked if there was a machine that "puts food into the mouth and pushes it down". Nixon responded by saying at least the competition was technological, rather than military. In the end, both men agreed that the United States and the Soviet Union should be more open with each other. However, Khrushchev was skeptical of Nixon's promise that his part in the debate would be translated into English and broadcast in the U.S.
Ampex Data Systems Corporation is still on the forefront of technology development. More information can be found at www.ampex.com
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Nixon and Khrushchev at the Opening of the U.S. Fair" on
- 22:26 Nixon before resignation and full speechby MediaBurnArchiveFeatured 29,176
- 7:22 The Kitchen Debate (Nixon and Khrushchev, 1959) Part I of IIby AmpexDataSystems 69,578 views
- 45:00 Secrets of war: Cold war Khrushchev's regimeby SECRETSOFWAR9 6,075 views
- 6:24 State Department Translator--What's My Lineby crepehanger47 6,604 views
- 46:23 Cold War Documentary in HQ- Episode 23: The Wall Comes Down (1989)by sasijayaram 22,234 views
- 17:56 CIA video briefing for Reagan: Moscow summit, 1988by nikitins 4,351 views
- 9:12 The Big Quadruplex Tour at M.B.T.by graphos10 5,661 views
- 10:15 PRESIDENT KENNEDY AND KHRUSHCHEVby PublicResourceOrg 4,641 views
- 7:03 Watch a 1956 RCA VICTOR CTC-5 COLOR TELEVISION!! "Roundie"by drh4683 77,877 views
- 45:02 JFK's 1963 State of the Unionby pgkerpen 5,306 views
- 9:32 Debate - Should Capitalism Have a Future - pt.1by pfbcarlisle 770 views
- 1:59 Watch TV Like in 1958! Fred Astaire "In Living Color"!by AutomobileHistoryUSA 25,399 views
- 2:30 An Overview of Ampex Historyby AmpexDataSystems 6,907 views
- 2:21 Баллистическая ПРО НАТОby niomoscow 4,255 views
- 13:45 Sergei Krushchevby wpsu 1,054 views
- 0:55 Stalin's Kidsby livinsbyfaith 6,477 views
- 1:34:52 1980 Presidential Candidate Debate: Governor Ronald Reagan and President Jimmy Carter - 10/28/80by ReaganFoundation 323,719 views
- 13:54 Cuban Missile Crisis Documentaryby Daniel Bao 16,156 views
- 1:13 Teary-eyed Khrushchev signs JFK condolences bookby JFK63Conspiracy 5,889 views
- 6:11 Dobbs: Obama Inner Nixon Revealed; IRS Commissioner A Democratby BirtherReportDotCom 1,676 views
- Loading more suggestions...