Egyptians fight sexual assault المصريون يحاربون التحرش في التحرير
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 2, 2013
Egyptian activists are rising up against sexual harassment and sexual assaults that have recently plagued Cairo's Tahrir Square.
Formed in November 2012, Operation Anti Sexual Harassment is one of those groups. They consist of scores of volunteers who give up their free time to fight against one of the ugliest issues to emerge in Tahrir Square recently - sexual assaults targeting women.
The group distributes fliers in the square with their hotline number, which women call if they get attacked. The call reaches a control room, then organisers phone 'intervention teams' on the ground who immediately rush to the victim. The group attempts to remove her from the crowd, take her to a safe place and provide her with medical and psychological assistance.
Tahrir - for over 2 years a symbol of Egypt's revolution - has suffered from fights, scuffles and clashes often attributed to the infiltration of counter revolutionary forces, and now violence against women seems to be the latest tool to undermine the demonstrations there.
On 25th January 2013, the two year anniversary of the revolution, Operation Anti Sexual Harassment dealt with 19 serious cases of sexual assault. Six women were taken to hospital due to their injuries.
Despite the horrific attacks, women are not staying away from the square. A week after the anniversary, women still made up a significant proportion of the Friday protests.
Engy Ghozlan, a long time women's rights activist and member of Operation Anti-Sexul Harassment says women will not be deterred. "This won't stop women from going or force them to stay at home, nothing will prevent us from going. The street belongs to us as it belongs to anyone. This is our country and we will not be silent against sexual harassment. Not the type that happens everyday nor that of Tahrir... In Egypt there is no revolution without the participation of women and their security"
For more information, or to see how you can donate to Operation Anti-Sexual Harassment, visit their facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/opantish?ref=... or email email@example.com
They are also on twitter: @OpAntiSH
Video by Simon Hanna for Ahram Online
Standard YouTube License
- 0:41 لحظة قتل المتهم بقتل ظابط بني سويفby 100 Video TubeFeatured 169,357
- 2:22 اشتباكات في ش قصر العيني Protesters clash near Tahrir on Jan25 anniversaryby AhramOnline 2,778 views
- 9:57 Port Said - City of Resistance بورسعيد - بلد المقاومةby AhramOnline 3,067 views
- 2:03 Ahly Ultras joy at Port Said ruling التراس اهلاوي يحتفلون بالقصاصby AhramOnline 8,676 views
- 1:23 Eyewitnesses on Alexandria's clashes شهود عيان على اشتباكات الإسكندريةby AhramOnline 28,034 views
- 1:54 Egyptian Islamists using rape as a weapon: wave of Cairo sexual assaults condemned by UNby JewishNewsOne 8,761 views
- 2:12 Western Female Journalist Brutaly Beaten & Sexually Assaulted By Egyptian Mob In Tahrir Squareby The1944Michael's channel 53,010 views
- 1:29 France 24 reporter sexual assault on Tahrirby Jewish News One 26,736 views
- 1:16 Tahrir, Egypt - edited 10 fps no soundby lezrss kanal 56,302 views
- 4:01 SEXUAL ASSAULTS ON WOMEN IN TAHRIR SQUARE,A PLEA FOR HELP(VIEW.DESC.ADVICED)by MartyrsNudieBar 92,867 views
- 1:00 FRENCH JOURNALIST RAPED BY PROTESTERS IN TAHRIR SQUARE(EGYPT)by hobotzcarandco 266,347 views
- 8:54 حق انك تعيشي!by OpAntiSH 3,081 views
- 0:56 سحل فتاة و جرها من شعرها بعد سحل مواطن اخرby Polotica Mazzika 14,801 views
- 3:53 هذا هو الاعتداء الجماعي .. احنا هنقاومby OpAntiSH قوة ضد التحرش والاعتداء الجنسي 766,655 views
- 6:11 LivePulse: Egypt Sexual Abuseby AlMonitor 10,858 views
- 1:54 Sexual assault as a political weapon: anti-Morsi protesters say Islamists use rape to terrorizeby Jewish News One 1,859 views
- 2:44 ACOSO SEXUAL DENTRO DEL METROby Fans Yaz 1,191,492 views
- 2:26 Vocalising sexual harassment in Egyptby Duniya Ki Khabrain 2,601 views
- 1:41 المذيعة لميس الحديدى تبكى على الهواء .. شاهد السببby faris elromansia 23,509 views
- 11:34 Egypt: Betrayal of Women's Rights?by TurnedTurk 787 views
- Loading more suggestions...