Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 2/18/13: The Drone Threat
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 17, 2013
The Drone Threat
by Ron Paul
Last week, Senators threatened to put a "hold" on the nomination of John Brennan to be CIA director over his refusal to answer questions about the use of drones to kill Americans on US soil. That the president's nominee to head the agency that has used drones to kill perhaps thousands overseas could not deny their possible use at home should be shocking. How did we get to this point?
The Obama administration has rapidly expanded the use of drones overseas, as they appear a way to expand US military action without the political risk of American boots on the ground. In fact they are one of the main reasons a recent Gallup survey of Pakistan, where most US drone strikes take place, found that 92% disapprove of U.S. leadership. This is the lowest approval rate Pakistan citizens have ever given to the United States. And it is directly related to US drone strikes. The risk of blowback increases all the time. However the false propaganda about the success of our drone program overseas leads officials to believe that drones should also be used over US soil as well.
In attempt to ease criticism of the use of drones against Americans, some in Congress propose more oversight, as if that should make us feel any better. In last week's hearings, CIA nominee Brennan suggested that he was open to a Congressional proposal to set up a secret court to oversee the president's program to kill Americans by drone. Should we cheer that a court selected by government officials will meet in secret to oversee the president's secret decisions on killing Americans without charge or trial? Has the Constitution been so eroded that we accept such a horrific and terrifying prospect?
While touting the success of its overseas drone program, the US administration refuses to even admit publicly that the CIA has an overseas drone program. In response to a recent ACLU Freedom of Information request regarding the existence of the CIA's drone program, the Department of Justice responded, ""the very fact of the existence or nonexistence of such documents is itself classified." How is that for government transparency?
Recently, Federal Aviation Administration official, Jim Williams, stated that no armed drones would presently be permitted in US airspace. But what good are the promises of government officials when the Constitution, and especially the Fourth Amendment, has been gutted? More than1,400 applications to use drones in US airspace have been approved, including for police, universities, and at least seven federal agencies. Do we want to live in a society where the government is constantly watching us from above? The East Germans and Soviets could only dream of such technology in the days of their dictatorship. We might ask ourselves how long before "extraordinary" circumstances will lead to a decision to arm those drones over US territory.
The US government justified its attack on Saddam Hussein in Iraq and against Gaddafi in Libya, and elsewhere, with claims that these despots were killing their own citizens without trial or due process. It is true that extra-juridical killing is the opposite of justice in a free society.
As Judge Andrew Napolitano wrote last week about the president's assassination program, "When [the president] kills without due process, he disobeys the laws he has sworn to uphold, no matter who agrees with him. When we talk about killing as if it were golf, we debase ourselves. And when the government kills and we put our heads in the sand, woe to us when there is no place to hide."
Standard YouTube License
- 5:21 DNA Gun? -- Mind Blow #58by Vsauce2 Featured 3,074,421
- 16:22 Ron Paul on the Lew Rockwell Show 2/27/13: The New Ron Paul Eraby minnesotachris1,152 views
- 5:05 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 3/11/13: Congress, Drones, and The Imperial Presidencyby minnesotachris3,084 views
- 3:43 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 8/20/12: Military "Cuts": Don't Believe the Hypeby minnesotachris1,831 views
- 4:09 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 2/25/13: When They Came for the Raw Milk Drinkers...by minnesotachris4,709 views
- 11:44 Rand Paul: Voters ready for Libertarian Republican in 2016by djgabrielpresents9,885 views
- 7:45 Ron Paul Rocks The View Whoopi Goldberg Frustrated When Audience Cheers Ron Paul.by TheLoverofmoney388,832 views
- 6:21 2013 - Ron Paul Exposes Obama Martial Law Plans!!!by Top10GamingOfficial393,984 views
- 26:03 How Ron Paul Was Cheated Out Of Presidencyby ThinkOutsideTheTV164,013 views
- 14:25 Jon Stewart Exposes Bill O'Reilly's Stupidity on Bill's showby Bashananal1,209,035 views
- 5:25 Top 10 Drones in the worldby German Military Power336,343 views
- 22:23 Drone On: the Future of UAV Over the USby MotherboardTV675,843 views
- 25:06 How The Government & Media Cheated Ron Paulby ThinkOutsideTheTV112,374 views
- 14:06 Ron Paul Destroys MSNBC's Alex Wagner On Syriaby djgabrielpresents92,254 views
- 9:37 Ron Paul Exposes Obamacare on Freedom Watchby flex4live11,856 views
- 39:19 Drone (« faux bourdon » en anglais), ou UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle)by tdw44684,270 views
- 6:27 New FEMA Camp Bill HR645 Congress 2013 - Evidence Preparations Civil War?by OccupyNWO6,616 views
- 9:32 Ron Paul: Obamacare 'A Conspiracy Of Stupidity'by selfownership119,010 views
- 18:09 Change Party from Within? Meet the Man The GOP Doesn't Want You To Know About!by Josh Tolley2,293 views
- 12:14 Ron Paul's Greatest Debate Performance Ever (10-18-2011)by KramerDSP576,255 views
- Loading more suggestions...