Senator Byrd's Speech Opposing Iraq War 3/19/03 Part 1
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 8, 2008
Remarkably prescient speech opposing the Iraq war by Senator Byrd in March of 2003.
AMERICA'S IMAGE IN THE WORLD
Script Part 1: Mr. BYRD. Madam President, I believe in this great and beautiful country. I have studied its roots and gloried in the wisdom of its magnificent Constitution and its inimitable history. I have marveled at the wisdom of its Founders and Framers. Generation after generation of Americans has understood the lofty ideals that underlie our great Republic. I have been inspired by the story of their sacrifice and their strength. But today I weep for my country. I have watched the events of recent months with a heavy, heavy heart. No more is the image of American one of strong, yet benevolent peacekeeper. The image of America has changed. Around the globe, our friends mistrust us, our word is disputed, our intentions are questioned. Instead of reasoning with those with whom we disagree, we demand obedience or threaten recrimination. Instead of isolating Saddam Hussein, we seem to have succeeded in isolating ourselves. We proclaim a new doctrine of preemption which is understood by few but feared by many. We say that the United States has the right to turn its firepower on any corner of the globe which might be suspect in the war on terrorism. We assert that right without the sanction of any international body. As a result, the world has become a much more dangerous place. We flaunt our superpower status with arrogance. We treat U.N. Security Council members like ingrates who offend our princely dignity by lifting their heads from the carpet. Valuable alliances are split. After war has ended, the United States will have to rebuild much more than the country of Iraq. We will have to rebuild America's image around the globe. The case this administration tries to make to justify its fixation with war is tainted by charges of falsified documents and circumstantial evidence. We cannot convince the world of the necessity of this war for one simple reason: This is not a war of necessity, but a war of choice. There is no credible information to connect Saddam Hussein to 9/11, at least up to this point. The twin towers fell because a world-wide terrorist group, al Qaida, with cells in over 60 nations, struck at our wealth and our influence by turning our own planes into missiles, one of which would likely have slammed into the dome of this beautiful Capitol except for the brave sacrifice of some of the passengers who were on board that plane. The brutality seen on September 11th and in other terrorist attacks we have witnessed around the globe are the violent and desperate efforts by extremists to stop the daily encroachment of Western values upon their cultures. That is what we fight. It is a force not confined to territorial borders. It is a shadowy entity with many faces, many names, and many addresses.
But, this administration has directed all of the anger, fear, and grief which emerged from the ashes of the Twin Towers and the twisted metal of the Pentagon towards a tangible villain, one we can see and hate and attack. And villain he is. But he is the wrong villain. And this is the wrong war . If we attack Saddam Hussein, we will probably drive him from power. But the zeal of our friends to assist our global war on terrorism may have already taken flight. The general unease surrounding this war is not just due to ``orange alert.'' There is a pervasive sense of rush and risk and too many questions unanswered...
Standard YouTube License
- 4:39 Senator Byrd's Speech Opposing Iraq War 3/19/03 Part 2by DemRapidResponse 23,625 views
- 0:18 McCain calls al Qaeda "an obscure sect of the Shi'ites"by DemRapidResponse 17,403 views
- 2:26 They Deserve A Voteby DNC Rapid Response 5,452 views
- 1:28 #GOPSequester: 98 Percent of What They Wantedby DemRapidResponse 6,133 views
- 7:43 iraq war 2003 - Shock and awe live coverage tvby Yo Tu 548,725 views
- Robert Byrd 597 videos3
- 6:39 Friendly Fire Cockpit Video Iraq 2003. Matty Hull Killedby latestfacts 505,465 views
- 51:08 Untold Story of the Iraq War ~ Commandos, Dirty Wars and Col. James Steeleby "Minds Are Like Parachutes - They Only Function When Open" 36,621 views
- 4:39 AMAZING SPEECH BY WAR VETERANby Phaedrus 1,442,270 views
- 8 videos Play all Robert Byrdby bemydemon
- 4:16 Senator Byrd Senate Session February 5 2008by Diamondsmj 30,550 views
- 9:59 Hillary Clinton Iraq War Full Speech 10/10/02 Part 1by janetrogers6 22,053 views
- 4:45 Paul Wellstone Iraq War Speechby Wellstone Action Videos 65,896 views
- 8:18 U.S. Senator Robert C. Byrd Video Montageby Brewhead 42,111 views
- 2:47 2002 Barack Obama Interview: Against Iraqby jakeb1125 183,715 views
- 9:43 MALCOLM X SPEECHES....by Mekki4ever 15,727 views
- 4:09 President Bush Addresses the Nation (March 19, 2003)by About 71,350 views
- 6:35 Ron Paul House Floor Speech on Iraq (October 8, 2002)by jaralero 36,493 views
- 2:14 Sen Robert Byrdby ully007 28,776 views
- 7:03 A BURIED 60 Minutes INTERVIEW / INDICTMENTby goldenequity 262,841 views
- 4:55 Charlie Chaplin final speech in The Great Dictatorby Michael Lalla 5,097,258 views
- 9:26 Hillary Clinton Iraq War Full Speech 10/10/02 Part 2by janetrogers6 8,595 views
- Loading more suggestions...