Battle for the California Desert: Why is the Government Driving Folks off Their Land?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 23, 2011
The Antelope Valley is a vast patch of desert on the outskirts of Los Angeles County, and a segment of the few rugged individualists who live out there increasingly are finding themselves the targets of armed raids from local code enforcement agents, who've assembled into task forces called Nuisance Abatement Teams (NATs).
The plight of the Valley's desert dwellers made regional headlines when county officials ordered the destruction of Phonehenge: a towering, colorful castle constructed out of telephone poles by retired phone technician Kim Fahey. Fahey was imprisoned and charged with several misdemeanors.
But Fahey is just one of many who've been targeted by the NATs, which were assembled at the request of County Supervisor Mike Antonovich in 2006. LA Weekly reporter Mars Melnicoff wrote an in-depth article in which she exposed the county's tactic of badgering residents with minor, but costly, code violations until they face little choice but to vacate the land altogether.
"They're picking on the the people who are the most defenseless and have the least resources," says Melnicoff.
Reason.tv collaborated with Melnicoff to talk with some of the NAT's targets, such as retired veteran Joey Gallo, who might face homelessness if he's forced to leave his house, and local pastor Oscar Castaneda, who says he's already given up the fight and is in the process of moving off the land he and his wife have lived on for 22 years. And, while Antonovich declined an interview, we did catch up with him at a public meeting in order to ask the big question at the center of all this: Why the sudden enforcement of these codes against people living in the middle of the desert, who seemingly are affecting no one?
Writer-Producers: Zach Weissmueller and Tim Cavanaugh. Associate Producer: Mars Melnicoff. Camera: Alex Manning and Weissmueller; edited by Weissmueller.
Music by Audionautix.com.
Visit Reason.tv for downloadable versions of this and all our videos, and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube Channel to receive automatic notification when new content is posted.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:05 My life as a Mojave Desert hermitby DesertphileFeatured 64,879
- 8:26 The Government's War on Cameras!by ReasonTV 178,155 views
- 4:55 L.A. County's War on Desert Ratsby LAWeeklyMedia 71,260 views
- 7:16 Michael Allison Faces 75 Years In Illinois Prison for recording police WTWO!by tgoat14 45,394 views
- 14:04 Living In A Van (Off The Grid)by S.E.R.E. CAMPER 385,601 views
- 6:16 CA Off the Grid Living - Rule #1 Don't Leave a Shed Unattendedby InflationUS 104,924 views
- 8:11 Living Homeless: Hope in the Desert :: Part 2by Tara Prindiville 5,940 views
- 9:28 Government Explainedby Man Against The State 362,945 views
- 8:08 Keith Thompson: Totally Off The Gridby RyanIsHungry 314,580 views
- 10:38 We're the Government -- and You're Notby DavidMcElroy1 315,449 views
- 14:49 Alan Watt: The Neo-Eugenics War On Humanity 1/4by Alex's Official Channel 63,969 views
- 9:25 Greening the Desert with Geoff Lawton, Original and Update: 1 of 4by Permasolutions 34,054 views
- 5:20 Greening the Desertby permares 291,149 views
- 5:18 Agenda 21 Creeps Into California Land Use Policyby AFP California 15,205 views
- 1:02 Dezert People 9 trailerby Dezert People Video Series 36,309 views
- 0:39 Obama says adding $4 trillion to debt is unpatriotic.by maywhitley31 145,455 views
- 5:48 Ravers vs. The Man: CA Bans LED Gloves and Pacifiersby ReasonTV 89,745 views
- 6:09 What We Saw at the Save Our Schools Rally in Washington D.C.by ReasonTV 210,014 views
- 5:23 Life Off the Grid in Slab Cityby Thrash Lab 482,775 views
- 1:44 Dezert People 8 trailerby Dezert People Video Series 47,414 views
- Loading more suggestions...