Battle for the California Desert: Why is the Government Driving Folks off Their Land?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 23, 2011
The Antelope Valley is a vast patch of desert on the outskirts of Los Angeles County, and a segment of the few rugged individualists who live out there increasingly are finding themselves the targets of armed raids from local code enforcement agents, who've assembled into task forces called Nuisance Abatement Teams (NATs).
The plight of the Valley's desert dwellers made regional headlines when county officials ordered the destruction of Phonehenge: a towering, colorful castle constructed out of telephone poles by retired phone technician Kim Fahey. Fahey was imprisoned and charged with several misdemeanors.
But Fahey is just one of many who've been targeted by the NATs, which were assembled at the request of County Supervisor Mike Antonovich in 2006. LA Weekly reporter Mars Melnicoff wrote an in-depth article in which she exposed the county's tactic of badgering residents with minor, but costly, code violations until they face little choice but to vacate the land altogether.
"They're picking on the the people who are the most defenseless and have the least resources," says Melnicoff.
Reason.tv collaborated with Melnicoff to talk with some of the NAT's targets, such as retired veteran Joey Gallo, who might face homelessness if he's forced to leave his house, and local pastor Oscar Castaneda, who says he's already given up the fight and is in the process of moving off the land he and his wife have lived on for 22 years. And, while Antonovich declined an interview, we did catch up with him at a public meeting in order to ask the big question at the center of all this: Why the sudden enforcement of these codes against people living in the middle of the desert, who seemingly are affecting no one?
Writer-Producers: Zach Weissmueller and Tim Cavanaugh. Associate Producer: Mars Melnicoff. Camera: Alex Manning and Weissmueller; edited by Weissmueller.
Music by Audionautix.com.
Visit Reason.tv for downloadable versions of this and all our videos, and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube Channel to receive automatic notification when new content is posted.
Standard YouTube License
- 51:28 Desert of the Skeletons (full documentary)by New Atlantis Full Documentaries Featured 504,825
- 1:34:01 How your community is implementing AGENDA 21by Steve Kemp176,070 views
- 9:41 Many marines are waking up and the government knows itby Tactikalguy124,470 views
- 8:19 Living Homeless: Hope in the Desert :: Part 1by prindy201038,489 views
- 4:55 L.A. County's War on Desert Ratsby LAWeeklyMedia75,712 views
- 10:02 Off-Grid Living Experience - Day 1: No Electricity, Water or Gasby LDSPrepper72,023 views
- 8:26 The Government's War on Cameras!by ReasonTV218,085 views
- 6:04 Why America Should Default and You Should Live Abroad: Q&A with Doug Caseyby ReasonTV32,945 views
- 8:11 Living Homeless: Hope in the Desert :: Part 2by prindy201010,528 views
- 6:04 The Great Gibson Guitar Raid: Months Later, Still No Charges Filedby ReasonTV110,574 views
- 5:48 Ravers vs. The Man: CA Bans LED Gloves and Pacifiersby ReasonTV104,986 views
- 3:52 OFF THE GRID - INSIDE THE MOVEMENTby Nick Rosen106,250 views
- 7:16 Michael Allison Faces 75 Years In Illinois Prison for recording police WTWO!by tgoat1446,187 views
- 6:09 What We Saw at the Save Our Schools Rally in Washington D.C.by ReasonTV226,782 views
- 51:28 Desierto de los Esqueletos (documental completo)by New Atlantis Full Documentaries441,539 views
- 4:48 Desert Living: Slab City & Salvation Mountainby oklahomamodern11,913 views
- 5:23 Life Off the Grid in Slab Cityby thethrashlab504,795 views
- 9:28 Government Explainedby Man Against The State416,173 views
- 7:53 Sandy Springs, Georgia: The City that Outsourced Everythingby ReasonTV132,848 views
- 1:02 Dezert People 9 trailerby Dezert People37,982 views
- Loading more suggestions...