How Housing Policy Caused the Financial Crisis
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 12, 2012
The 2008 financial crisis "proved that financial markets are not self-regulating," says political scientist Francis Fukuyama in a recent interview with the website TheBrowser:
"[Peter Wallison] lays it all at the door of Fannie and Freddie and government intervention. It seems to me transparently designed to exonerate free markets...I like free markets...[but] that particular conclusion I just find astonishing."
Fukuyama isn't alone in depicting Wallison as an uncomprimising ideologue who thinks government deserves all the blame. New York Times columnist Joe Nocera called Wallison's work "loony" and accused him of helping to concoct "what has since become a Republican meme." Even pro-free market economist Russ Roberts took Wallison to task for downplaying the role of investment banks in causing the crisis.
So who is Peter Wallison? He's a scholar at The American Enterprise Institute and was a leading member of the 10-person Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission, a government-created body charged with looking into the causes of the 2008 meltdown. After a year of hearings and deliberation, the commission produced its official report which laid most of the blame on deregulation and private sector avarice. Wallison publicly broke with the commission over the report.
"Instead of pursuing a thorough study," says Wallison, "the commission's majority used its extensive statutory investigative authority to seek only the facts that supported its initial assumptions - that the crisis was caused by 'deregulation' or lax regulation, greed and recklessness on Wall Street, predatory lending in the mortgage market, unregulated derivatives, and a financial system addicted to excessive risk taking."
Wallison published his version of what caused the crisis in a 93-page dissent, which argues that the meltdown was largely a consequence of government housing policy that underwrote unsustainable economic activity. He draws heavily on the research of Fannie Mae's former chief credit officer, Edward Pinto, which found that federal housing agencies drastically underreported the number of high-risk mortgages on their books. According to Wallison and Pinto, there were about 28 million high-risk mortgages in the U.S. in 2008; roughly 70 percent of those mortgages were owned by government-sponosored enterprises such as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
Wallison sat down with Reason Foundation's Anthony Randazzo in January to talk about the causes of the 2008 financial crisis, what to do about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and why he's not guilty of trying to "exonerate" Wall Street banks.
This interview was excerpted from a much-longer conversation, a transcript of which can be found here, here, and here.
Produced, shot, and edited by Jim Epstein.
About 6 minutes.
Go to http://Reason.tv for downloadable versions and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube Channel to receive automatic updates when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:49:16 Global Financial Meltdown (Must See. Full doc)by HISTROIKA 201279,822 views
- 13:39 Depresión económica de Estados Unidos en 2014 (Impresionante)by GodLoveuss17,095 views
- 1:02:14 01 - The Economic Crisis (The Fall of America & the Western World)by LightOfAquarius71,236 views
- 23:31 Gerald Celente: Total Economic Collapse in Q1 2014by NextNewsNetwork80,087 views
- 35:27 John Stossel on the Media, Liberty, and Why He Doesn't Miss Working for ABCby ReasonTV22,805 views
- 11:11 Understanding the Financial Crisis - very good explanation!by Mostafa Mourad984,995 views
- 5:17 La proxima crisis mundial vendra de Chinaby sonic1024gt53,791 views
- 59:34 The Fall Of A Great Empire - UK Debt Crisis - Economic Collapse - UK False Flagby Ancient Astronaut21,375 views
- 4:54 2013 - The Crash of the U.S. Housing Marketby GlobalEconomicNews5,259 views
- 35:24 How to Fix the Housing Crisis | Douglas E. Frenchby misesmedia6,251 views
- 23:17 Greece financial crisis-On the Edge with Max Keiser-05-24-2012by PressTVGlobalNews25,655 views
- 10:38 Economic Collapse March 2014!! (Derivative Meltdown for the New World Order)by Michael turksma182,500 views
- 7:58 Lindsey Williams - 3 Things That Will Happen Before The Financial Collapse Takes Place!!by MoneyBags7342,788 views
- 46:22 Overdose: The Next Financial Crisisby Journeyman Pictures1,674,589 views
- 2:12:01 Misteriosa crisis mundial. ¿Es una conspiración organizada?by La Nave del Misterio - Otros Mundos814,149 views
- 9:50 Battle for the California Desert: Why is the Government Driving Folks off Their Land?by ReasonTV290,212 views
- 2:03:08 LIFE HIDDEN TRUTH 2013 GLOBAL FINANCIAL CRISISby CYBIRD07226,653 views
- 5:13 US Debt Crisis 2013 - US Economy Explained - Understanding the Financial Crisisby Knowledgeandculturtv18,916 views
- 1:38:54 Understanding the Financial Crisis: Origin and Impact - Elizabeth Warren (2008)by The Film Archives2,748 views
- 24:15 Dollar Crash Coming - Economic Financial Collapseby Economic Collapse 201327,352 views
- Loading more suggestions...