Mayor Bloomberg and Survivors and Family Members of Gun Violence Demand A Plan to End Gun Violence
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 17, 2012
Survivors and Family Members of Gun Violence Demand a Plan to Reduce Gun Violence From Washington
Mayors Against Illegal Guns Releases 34 "I Demand A Plan" Videos -- Personal Stories Representing the 34 Americans Killed with Guns Every Day
Videos Tell Stories of Americans Whose Lives Have Been Forever Changed Because of Gun Violence, Including from Mass Shootings in Aurora, Oak Creek, Tucson and Virginia Tech; Videos Available at www.DemandAPlan.org
Mayors Against Illegal Guns Co-Chair and New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg was joined today by survivors and family members of victims of gun violence to release personal videos demanding that elected officials in Washington D.C. take immediate action to reduce gun violence in America. The videos can be viewed at www.DemandAPlan.org
The videos tell the stories of 34 Americans whose lives have been forever changed -- whether in mass shootings in Aurora, Oak Creek, Tucson and Virginia Tech or in the daily gun violence that kills 34 Americans every day. The diverse voices hail from urban and suburban areas across the country, young and old, of different races and religious backgrounds. Every story is different, but all survivors are united in their belief that something must be done to prevent more tragedies like the one in Newtown, Connecticut and like the tragedy they personally experienced.
When the 113th Congress convenes in January 2013, the videos will be delivered to members to prompt leaders in Washington to pass common sense legislation to reduce gun violence.
Legislative Agenda -
Legislation now pending in Congress, the Fix Gun Checks Act (H.R. 1781/S. 436), would require a criminal background check for all gun sales. Current Federal law requires licensed gun dealers to conduct checks on buyers, but private sellers, who often sell guns online and at gun shows, can sell with no background check at all. The loophole is enormous; an estimated 40 percent of all U.S. gun sales are private sales and not subject to the Federal background check, giving easy access to guns for felons, other criminals, the mentally ill, drug abusers and other individuals currently prohibited from purchasing guns by existing Federal law.
Some members of the coalition also have called on Congress to ban deadly, military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, many of which were previously banned under the now expired Federal assault weapons ban.
Mayors Against Illegal Guns also is seeking legislation to make gun trafficking a felony -- as Senator Gillibrand and others have proposed.
Executive Branch Actions -
The bi-partisan coalition will continue to push the President and the Justice Department to set a clear agenda to reduce gun violence and enforce the laws already on the books.
First, the coalition is asking the President to make the confirmation of a new director for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms a higher priority than it's been so far. It has been six years since the ATF has had a confirmed director. Mayor Bloomberg urged the President to make a recess appointment to fill the vacancy.
Mayors Against Illegal Guns is asking the Justice Department to prosecute people who fail their gun background check after lying on the form -- a Federal felony under existing law. In 2009, out of the more than 71,000 cases referred by the FBI, the Justice Department prosecuted just 77 of them.
Third, the coalition is asking the President to immediately lift the Tiahrt gag order, which keeps the public in the dark about gun traffickers -- specifically, who they are and how they operate.
Monday, December 17th, 2012
Blue Room, City Hall, Lower Manhattan
Standard YouTube License
- 15:23 Mayor Bloomberg Argues for Gun Control - Morning Joe MSNBC - Dec 18, 2012by alt news ChannelFeatured 2,920
- 4:24 Mayor Bloomberg Discusses New York City's Sugary Beverage Regulationby mayorbloomberg 7,155 views
- 55:14 Mayor Bloomberg Delivers Address on Shaping NYC's Future After Hurricane Sandyby mayorbloomberg 614 views
- 17:28 Mayor Bloomberg Announces Indictments in Major Gun Trafficking Ringsby mayorbloomberg 1,549 views
- 8:42 Mayor Bloomberg Announces 2012 Sets All-Time Record for Fewest Murders & Shootingsby mayorbloomberg 641 views
- Michael Bloomberg 11,396 videos7
- 3:02 Citizen shows Mayor Michael Bloomberg he is not ABOVE the Law !by nycresistance 20,262 views
- 2:55 SANDY HOOK FATHER OWNS CONGRESSby ThinkOutsideTheTV 3,258,195 views
- 10:43 Joe Scarborough: Newtown Shooting Made 'Ideologies Of My Past' On Guns Irrelevantby ThePrincessHira 51,030 views
- 1:31 Bloomberg: Police Officers Should Not Protect Americans Until Strict Gun Control Is Enactedby Greg Hengler 41,002 views
- 16:28 (Monday 17th) Mayor Bloomberg Demands End To Gun Violenceby BlueprintForTruth 149 views
- 6:46 Mayor Bloomberg Executive Action is needed against Second Amendment to ban Assault Rifles Guns 2012by theXlogic 1,755 views
- 5:12 Father of Newtown shooting victim speaks about gun controlby NovaVideos4u 7,118 views
- 6:21 Community - Best of Troy (Season 3)by tvgirl17's channel 78,953 views
- 1:26 Connecticut school shooting: New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg demands action on gun controlby telegraphtv 2,421 views
- 13:41 Bloomberg's NYC for the Rich and Famous Onlyby ATLAH Worldwide 1,183 views
- 7:25 Interview with Michael Bloombergby ABCNews 8,682 views
- 2:32 Demand a BOYCOTT of CELEBRITIES WANTING NEW GUN LAWSby TraceOfConsciousness 7,732 views
- 5:56 Nightline Interview with Bloomberg on Gunsby UserUnkown00 1,231 views
- 5:02:19 5-Hour | Epic Music Mega Mixby ThePrimeCronus . 4,268,276 views
- 2:35 Journalist Accosted By Security Over Mayor Bloomberg Gun Control Questionby jasonmattera's channel 420,287 views
- Loading more suggestions...