This video is unavailable.
TEDxBoulder - Peter McGraw - What Makes Things Funny
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 11, 2010
Pete McGraw is a leading researcher at the Humor Research Lab at the University of Colorado, Boulder. In this talk he not only discusses what is funny, but what makes something funny as well.
About TEDx, x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California 25 years ago, TED has grown to support those world-changing ideas with multiple initiatives. The annual TED Conference invites the world's leading thinkers and doers to speak for 18 minutes. Their talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Al Gore, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Nandan Nilekani, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. The annual TED Conference takes place in Long Beach, California, with simulcast in Palm Springs; TEDGlobal is held each year in Oxford, UK. TED's media initiatives include TED.com, where new TEDTalks are posted daily, and the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as the ability for any TEDTalk to be translated by volunteers worldwide. TED has established the annual TED Prize, where exceptional individuals with a wish to change the world are given the opportunity to put their wishes into action; TEDx, which offers individuals or groups a way to host local, self-organized events around the world; and the TEDFellows program, helping world-changing innovators from around the globe to become part of the TED community and, with its help, amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
Follow TED on Twitter at twitter.com/TEDTalks, or on Facebook at facebook.com/TED.
Standard YouTube License
- 15:41 Stereotypes - Funny Because They Are True: Katerina Vrana at TEDxThessalonikiby TEDxTalks 21,361 views
- 15:57 TEDxRainier - Chris Bliss - This is Your Brain on Comedyby TEDxTalks 21,098 views
- 3:26 TEDxBoulder - Grant Blakeman - Minimalism - For a More Full Lifeby TEDxTalks 83,968 views
- 20:03 TEDxSinCity - Bruce Muzik - The BIG Secret Nobody Wants To Tellby TEDxTalks 140,075 views
- 15:00 Why you will fail to have a great career: Larry Smith at TEDxUWby TEDxTalks 755,133 views
- 18:11 Forget What You Know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeenby TEDxTalks 1,287,511 views
- 13:21 TEDxRyersonU - Dr. Ivan Joseph - The Skill of Self Confidenceby TEDxTalks 172,974 views
- 19:10 TEDxOrangeCoast - Daniel Amen - Change Your Brain, Change Your Lifeby TEDxTalks 153,082 views
- 17:57 Turning Fear Into Fuel: Jonathan Fields at TEDxCMU 2010by TEDxTalks 125,067 views
- 15:48 TEDxBoulder - Thad Roberts - Visualizing Eleven Dimensionsby TEDxTalks 61,973 views
- 10:50 TEDxVictoria - Dave Morris: The Way of Improvisationby TEDxTalks 57,252 views
- 14:13 TEDxBOULDER - Phil Plait - An Asteroid Impact Can Ruin Your Whole Day. And Your Speciesby TEDxTalks 18,419 views
- 4:28 How To Use One Paper Towel: Joe Smith at TEDxConcordiaUPortlandby TEDxTalks 795,827 views
- 19:27 TEDxSinCity - Bryan Franklin - The Most Dangerous Question On Earthby TEDxTalks 205,000 views
- 10:09 Is life really that complex?: Hannah Fry at TEDxUCLby TEDxTalks 219,370 views
- 18:00 TEDxFiDiWomen - Alisa Vitti - Loving Your Lady Parts as a Path to Success, Power & Global Changeby TEDxTalks 140,198 views
- 9:37 TEDxOrangeCoast - Amy Purdy - Living Beyond Limitsby TEDxTalks 405,955 views
- 19:15 TEDxPSU - Sam Richards - A Radical Experiment in Empathyby TEDxTalks 279,447 views
- 17:08 TEDxMaastricht - Simon Sinek - "First why and then trust"by TEDxTalks 203,959 views
- 10:24 TEDxSydney - Nigel Marsh - Work Life Balance is an Ongoing Battleby TEDxTalks 114,843 views