A Moral Argument for Progressive Taxes - David Cay Johnston
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 13, 2008
Complete Video at: http://fora.tv/2008/04/14/David_Cay_J...
Author David Cay Johnston discusses the history of progressive taxation, and argues that these policies are inherent to a democratic government.
Since 1995 when David Cay Johnston turned his investigative reporting skills to explore the murky waters of tax law, Some tax policy officials now consider him, as one tax law professor put it, "the de facto chief tax enforcement officer of the United States."
Johnston will detail how a strong and growing economy lends itself to job uncertainty, debt, bankruptcy, and economic fear for a vast number of Americans. As tax season draws to a close, come find out who is getting a free lunch and who is picking up the bill - The Commonwealth Club of California
David Cay Johnston was an investigative journalist for The New York Times now focusing on the subject of taxation. He accepted a buyout offer from the Times in April 2008 and is now an independent reporter.
He most recently published Free Lunch: How the Wealthiest Americans Enrich Themselves at Government Expense and Stick You With The Bill, about hidden subsidies, rigged markets, and corporate socialism. It follows Perfectly Legal: The Covert Campaign to Rig Our Tax System to Benefit the Super Rich - and Cheat Everybody Else, a New York Times bestseller. Johnston received the 2001 Pulitzer Prize for Beat Reporting "for his penetrating and enterprising reporting that exposed loopholes and inequities in the U.S. tax code, which was instrumental in bringing about reforms." He also won the Book of the Year award from Investigative Reporters & Editors.
Robert Saldich is the Chair of the Board of Governors at The Commonwealth Club in San Francisco, CA.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:23 Mike Huckabee - What is the "Fair Tax?"by ForaTvFeatured 32,206
- 3:48 Steve Forbes Argues for a Flat Taxby FORA.tv 14,894 views
- 2:53 David Cay Johnston - Problems with a "Fair Tax"by FORA.tv 5,796 views
- 4:43 David Cay Johnston - Are Government Subsidies Unfair?by ForaTv 2,406 views
- 9:34 Mark Levin on the progressive income tax system 10-28-09by duffoscope 1,114 views
- 9:49 Free Lunch, Corp Welfare, Bill Moyers and David Cay Johnstonby litxlit 19,866 views
- 6:55 How the wealthiest American make money off the poor-1/2by IWantDemocracyNow 30,890 views
- 1:13:16 David Cay Johnston: Law, Politics, and the Media Lecture Series 2011by SyracuseLaw 1,497 views
- 4:52 Our Tax Systemby BradyCarsonLee 6,209 views
- 2:47 Rachel Maddow and economist David Cay Johnston on chasing tax cheats, March 2 2011by Jack Coleman 1,493 views
- 9:03 Fair Tax, Flat Tax or Tax the Rich More?! With Dr. Gary North (Ep 17)by patriotupdatereport 9,149 views
- 1:00:01 Free Lunch: How the Wealthiest Americans Enrich Themselves at Government Expense, part 1by MSLawdotedu 15,068 views
- 5:50 The Tea Party vs. Occupy Wall Streetby encounterbooks 81,540 views
- 2:01 David Cay Johnston: Socialismby Jay Ackroyd 5,322 views
- 13:49 David Cay Johnston on Gov. Scott Walker's False Claims of Taxpayer Subsidies For Workers' Pensionsby mediagrrl9 2,863 views
- 8:58 Without Regulation Capitalism Is Theftby GateKeeper50hotmail 1,024 views
- 4:31 Paying income tax in America is Voluntaryby Freedom for Some 2,078,254 views
- 6:42 Flat Tax vs. Fair Tax on Fox Businessby FreedomWorksAction 18,844 views
- 10:55 Rush Limbaugh - What's Fair about a Progressive Tax System/Government Greedby Fent1231 633 views
- 4:00 Fair Tax... explained by a 17 year oldby bmccaffe 12,959 views
- Loading more suggestions...