THE WHO "QUADROPHENIA Love Reign O'er me"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 24, 2007
The story covers about five days of the life of a certain Jimmy, a participant in the circa 1964 Mod lifestyle in England. "The story is set on a rock!" announced the composer, Pete Townshend, at one live performance, indicating that the opera represents Jimmy's looking back at the events of the previous day or two that led him into the gloomy situation where he finds himself at the end of the story. The narrative is difficult to derive from the lyrics alone, but becomes clearer with the benefit of a short story (also written by Townshend) related from Jimmy's first person perspective, that is included in the album's booklet.
The first half of the opera consists of songs that allude to the frustrations and insecurities that govern Jimmy's life, including brief glimpses of his home life, his job, his psychoanalyst, and his unsuccessful attempts to have a social life. Halfway through the opera he sings "I've Had Enough", finds himself kicked out of his home when his parents find his box of 'blues' (blue pills of some unnamed drug, possibly amphetamine) (this happens in the song Cut My Hair). Distraught and with nothing better to do, Jimmy takes a large dose of blues and takes a train ride to the coast (Embodied in the song 5:15, which is supposed to be the time when the train departs). During his stay near the beach in Brighton, he encounters the former "Ace Face", the leader of a group of Mods, whom he admires greatly. However, "Ace Face" now works as a bell boy at a nearby hotel. Ironically, this is the very same hotel Ace Face had smashed the windows of two days before. This display of masculine bravado had earned him the admiration of many of his fellow Mods two days before during Jimmy's first stay in Brighton. Jimmy is disgusted to learn that the person he had admired as a Mod had "sold out".
At this point, Jimmy is inconsolable. Everybody from his parents to his girlfriend had disappointed him before, but he had never expected the Mod lifestyle to let him down. Drunk and depressed, he steals the now former Ace Face's scooter from the front of the Brighton hotel where he is employeed, takes it out to a barren rock protruding from the sea, and crashes psychologically. With nothing left to live for he finds redemption in the pouring rain, which is expressed in the final song, "Love, Reign o'er Me".
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Love Reign O'er Me" on
- 4:07 Tired Pony - All Things All At Onceby TiredPonyVEVO Featured 412,923
- 2:00:12 Quadrophenia 1979 720p BRRipby Solomon Kane2,052 views
- 8:47 Pearl Jam VH1 Rock Honors " Love, Reign O'er Me" "The Real Me" [HD]by darkstarmarvel2248,929 views
- 6:14 The Song Is Over - The Whoby theseeker23298,036 views
- 120 videos Play all The Whoby CurvyCreature
- TheWhoVEVO 23 videos18K
- 5:19 The Who- Baba O'Riley1971 Official Video Video [HQ]by classicrockhits737,889 views
- 27:35 The Who at The Concert For New York Cityby brodieman1999528,913 views
- 2:02:20 Quadropheniaby Oi Tube2,528 views
- 6:39 The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgeraldby Joseph Fulton6,172,526 views
- 8:32 Kashmir - Led Zeppelinby OzWho23,907,014 views
- 6:42 Heart - Love Reign O'er Meby Don Jack80,376 views
- 5:04 Quadrophenia - The Who - Sea And Sand - (Check More Info)by red777photo .130,022 views
- 2:00:12 Quadrophenia 1979https://www.facebook.com/exploitationmovieby mangia cassette7,162 views
- 7:19 The Who - Love, Reign O'er Me (Quadrophenia); Chicago, IL 11.29.12by 8baseballgeek13,427 views
- 6:41 The Who - The Rock - Quadropheniaby red777photo .112,769 views
- 8:00 Led Zeppelin-Stairway to Heavenby PolAlvarezBalague75,175,287 views
- 6:03 Pete Townshend/Jeff Beck - Love Reign O'er Me - London 2012by highnumber13117,004 views
- 9:09 The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again - The O2 Arena - Live in London - June 15 2013by steveatgigs42,318 views
- 2:44 The Who on Keith Moonby foilfedora384,078 views