The Great Gildersleeve: The First Cold Snap / Appointed Water Commissioner / First Day on the Job
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 17, 2012
The Great Gildersleeve (1941--1957), initially written by Leonard Lewis Levinson, was one of broadcast history's earliest spin-off programs. Built around Throckmorton Philharmonic Gildersleeve, a character who had been a staple on the classic radio situation comedy Fibber McGee and Molly, first introduced on Oct. 3, 1939, ep. #216. The Great Gildersleeve enjoyed its greatest success in the 1940s. Actor Harold Peary played the character during its transition from the parent show into the spin-off and later in a quartet of feature films released at the height of the show's popularity.
On Fibber McGee and Molly, Peary's Gildersleeve was a pompous windbag who became a consistent McGee nemesis. "You're a haa-aa-aa-aard man, McGee!" became a Gildersleeve catchphrase. The character was given several conflicting first names on Fibber McGee and Molly, and on one episode his middle name was revealed as Philharmonic. Gildy admits as much at the end of "Gildersleeve's Diary" on the Fibber McGee and Molly series (Oct. 22, 1940).
Premiering on August 31, 1941, The Great Gildersleeve moved the title character from the McGees' Wistful Vista to Summerfield, where Gildersleeve now oversaw his late brother-in-law's estate and took on the rearing of his orphaned niece and nephew, Marjorie (originally played by Lurene Tuttle and followed by Louise Erickson and Mary Lee Robb) and Leroy Forester (Walter Tetley). The household also included a cook named Birdie. Curiously, while Gildersleeve had occasionally spoken of his (never-present) wife in some Fibber episodes, in his own series the character was a confirmed bachelor.
In a striking forerunner to such later television hits as Bachelor Father and Family Affair, both of which are centered on well-to-do uncles taking in their deceased siblings' children, Gildersleeve was a bachelor raising two children while, at first, administering a girdle manufacturing company ("If you want a better corset, of course, it's a Gildersleeve") and then for the bulk of the show's run, serving as Summerfield's water commissioner, between time with the ladies and nights with the boys. The Great Gildersleeve may have been the first broadcast show to be centered on a single parent balancing child-rearing, work, and a social life, done with taste and genuine wit, often at the expense of Gildersleeve's now slightly understated pomposity.
Many of the original episodes were co-written by John Whedon, father of Tom Whedon (who wrote The Golden Girls), and grandfather of Deadwood scripter Zack Whedon and Joss Whedon (creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog).
The key to the show was Peary, whose booming voice and facility with moans, groans, laughs, shudders and inflection was as close to body language and facial suggestion as a voice could get. Peary was so effective, and Gildersleeve became so familiar a character, that he was referenced and satirized periodically in other comedies and in a few cartoons.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:22:54 The Groucho Marx Show: American Television Quiz Show - Book / Chair / Clock Episodesby thefilmarchivesFeatured 123,072
- 1:35:11 The Dark Corner (1946) - Full Movie - Lucille Ball Clifton Webb William Bendixby classicmovie3000 634 views
- 1:56:21 فلم الاكشن Killer Elite arabic كامل - Cinema-ABO 3TBby abo3tbTv 3,648,350 views
- 1:32 Charlie Chan in Panamaby Роман Мацнев 2,728 views
- 1:27:06 The Great Gildersleeve: Gildy's Diet / Arrested as a Car Thief / A New Bed for Marjorieby theradioarchive 124,307 views
- 1:40:36 THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE (1948) James Cagney - William Bendixby TheVideoCellar 13,005 views
- 2:49 The Great Gildersleeve 1950s TVby bearlyrufus 19,047 views
- 3 videos Play all My tripsby glavar2009
- 10:58 Super Password: Bert Convy Bloopers and Mishapsby Gameshowboy 50,222 views
- 6:03 William Bendix--What's My Lineby crepehanger47 32,735 views
- 1:29:30 The Great Gildersleeve: Fire Engine Committee / Leila's Sister Visits / Income Taxby theradioarchive 33,780 views
- 50:29 Wagon Train: Around The Horn PT 1/1 WILLIAM BENDIX & Ernest Borgnineby hirmiestelio 3,506 views
- 18:03 TEDxFiDiWomen - Lissa Rankin - The Shocking Truth About Your Healthby TEDxTalks 239,965 views
- 28:01 Prometheus Actually Explained (With Real Answers)by Twin Perfect 494,817 views
- 14:06 1995 - Documentary - Women of RKO - Narrated by: Debbie Reynoldsby videoarcheology2 8,093 views
- 1:22:11 The Great Gildersleeve: Christmas Eve Program / New Year's Eve / Gildy Is Suedby theradioarchive 98,609 views
- 11:39 Милая девушка Олеся с накачанными губамиby Gretcky85 55,878 views
- 1:28:34 The Great Gildersleeve: Investigating the City Jail / School Pranks / A Visit from Oliverby theradioarchive 59,498 views
- 29:50 Great Gildersleeve Disappearing Christmas Gifts 1948by OTR HALLOWEENHOLIDAZE 560 views
- 18:29 طوق الخلاصby Abdullah Almayahi 1,575 views
- 11:24 Ventriloquist Jeff Dunham brings Walter on BU Tonightby 600dollarbananasuit 3,579,216 views
- Loading more suggestions...