Cory Doctorow: The coming war on general computation [28C3]
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 28, 2011
The coming war on general computation
The copyright war was just the beginning
The last 20 years of Internet policy have been dominated by the copyright war, but the war turns out only to have been a skirmish. The coming century will be dominated by war against the general purpose computer, and the stakes are the freedom, fortune and privacy of the entire human race.
The problem is twofold: first, there is no known general-purpose computer that can execute all the programs we can think of except the naughty ones; second, general-purpose computers have replaced every other device in our world. There are no airplanes, only computers that fly. There are no cars, only computers we sit in. There are no hearing aids, only computers we put in our ears. There are no 3D printers, only computers that drive peripherals. There are no radios, only computers with fast ADCs and DACs and phased-array antennas. Consequently anything you do to "secure" anything with a computer in it ends up undermining the capabilities and security of every other corner of modern human society.
And general purpose computers can cause harm -- whether it's printing out AR15 components, causing mid-air collisions, or snarling traffic. So the number of parties with legitimate grievances against computers are going to continue to multiply, as will the cries to regulate PCs.
The primary regulatory impulse is to use combinations of code-signing and other "trust" mechanisms to create computers that run programs that users can't inspect or terminate, that run without users' consent or knowledge, and that run even when users don't want them to.
The upshot: a world of ubiquitous malware, where everything we do to make things better only makes it worse, where the tools of liberation become tools of oppression.
Our duty and challenge is to devise systems for mitigating the harm of general purpose computing without recourse to spyware, first to keep ourselves safe, and second to keep computers safe from the regulatory impulse.
Speaker: Cory Doctorow
Event: 28th Chaos Communication Congress (28C3) by the Chaos Computer Club [CCC]
Location: Berlin Congress Center [bcc]; Alexanderstr. 11; 10178 Berlin; Germany
Start: 27.12.2011 20:30:00 +01:00
Standard YouTube License
- 1:25:40 How governments have tried to block Tor [28C3]by CCCen89,603 views
- 1:00:19 Cory Doctorow talk on Homeland.by Kevin Loughin8,157 views
- 2:11:52 Does God Exist? (Frank Turek vs Christopher Hitchens)by exposedatheists487,866 views
- 48:25 DEFCON 19: Three Generations of DoS Attacks (with Audience Participation, as Victims)by Christiaan00899,774 views
- 57:37 The Coming Collapse of the Middle Class with Elizabeth Warrenby University of California Television (UCTV)937,783 views
- 42:26 DEFCON 17: Making Fun of Your Malwareby Christiaan00826,176 views
- 50:43 DEFCON 19: Hacking MMORPGs for Fun and Mostly Profitby Christiaan00874,591 views
- 38:10 DEFCON 19: Safe to Armed in Seconds: A Study of Epic Fails of Popular Gun Safesby Christiaan008168,263 views
- 10 videos Play all Spoken Reasonsby truthtella4
- 55:00 Cory Doctorow on Why it's a Bad Idea to Regulate Computersby tvochannel4,137 views
- 2:08:10 Der Staatstrojaner - Aus Sicht der Technik [28C3]by CCCdeVideos23,674 views
- 29:34 YOU ARE HERE: The Oil Journey (Narrated by Peter Coyote)by postcarboninstitute41,608 views
- 58:54 DefCon 15 - T112 - No-Tech Hackingby basic204127,444 views
- 40:47 DEFCON 19: Steal Everything, Kill Everyone, Cause Total Financial Ruin! (w speaker)by Christiaan00835,177 views
- 57:05 Authors@Google: Cory Doctorowby Talks at Google32,663 views
- 55:02 DEFCON 17: Failureby Christiaan00895,790 views
- 49:59 DEFCON 20: The Art Of The Conby Christiaan00814,038 views
- 1:39:50 DEFCON 20: Can You Track Me Now? Government And Corporate Surveillance Of Mobile Geo-Location Databy Christiaan00834,160 views
- 41:32 DEFCON 19: The Art of Trolling (w speaker)by Christiaan00861,330 views
- 1:04:54 28c3: Die Koalition setzt sich aber aktiv und ernsthaft dafür einby 28c334,626 views