The Myth of Persecution by Candida Moss
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 9, 2013
In THE MYTH OF PERSECUTION, Candida Moss, a leading expert on early Christianity, reveals how the early church exaggerated, invented, and forged stories of Christian martyrs and how the dangerous legacy of a martyrdom complex is employed today to silence dissent and galvanize a new generation of culture warriors.
According to cherished church tradition and popular belief, before the Emperor Constantine made Christianity legal in the fourth century, early Christians were systematically persecuted by a brutal Roman Empire intent on their destruction. As the story goes, vast numbers of believers were thrown to the lions, tortured, or burned alive because they refused to renounce Christ. These saints, Christianity's inspirational heroes, are still venerated today.
Moss, however, exposes that the "Age of Martyrs" is a fiction—there was no sustained 300-year-long effort by the Romans to persecute Christians. Instead, these stories were pious exaggerations; highly stylized rewritings of Jewish, Greek, and Roman noble death traditions; and even forgeries designed to marginalize heretics, inspire the faithful, and fund churches.
The traditional story of persecution is still taught in Sunday school classes, celebrated in sermons, and employed by church leaders, politicians, and media pundits who insist that Christians were—and always will be—persecuted by a hostile, secular world. While violence against Christians does occur in select parts of the world today, the rhetoric of persecution is both misleading and rooted in an inaccurate history of the early church. Moss urges modern Christians to abandon the conspiratorial assumption that the world is out to get Christians and, rather, embrace the consolation, moral instruction, and spiritual guidance that these martyrdom stories provide.
Standard YouTube License
- 21:41 The Didache -- The Teaching of the Twelve Apostlesby Zakharii Featured 1,437
- 44:55 DOCUMENTAL LA VIDA DE LOS PRIMEROS CRISTIANOSby Mijae Benbenjamin.35,232 views
- 43:08 Los Primeros Cristianos En Romaby bibliolider6,202 views
- 1:23:58 Os mártires Cristãos - Super documentário completo ( excelente )by pastormiltonreis9,021 views
- 15:43 BILL MAHER - Love this guy _ Benjamin NetanYahu PRIME MINISTER ISRAELby JULIE PARTNEY58,673 views
- 1:29:05 Rich Hall's Inventing The Indian (BBC)by Lloyd B27,981 views
- 51:28 La Historia del Cristianismo Primitivoby gnosissiglo211,712 views
- 28:31 Gene Wilder on Willy Wonka Remake, Young Frankenstein, Mel Brooks, And More | 92Y Talksby 92nd Street Y316,015 views
- 14:33 Robert Price debates WL Craig part 6by SHIBBYiPANDA1,600 views
- 14:15 Los Primeros Cristianos ~ (Capitulo - 1) ~ El Escándalo de la Cruz ~ 1/2by GerryDragon76G43,456 views
- 12:56 Conversations w/Great Minds P1 - is the Christian belief in persecution just a myth?by The Big Picture RT2,433 views
- 8:16 LAS MATANZAS DE LOS PRIMEROS CRISTIANOSby luzgala173,164 views
- 44:45 National Geographic HD - Head of John the Baptistby KakaTonyLa8,952 views
- 2:53:45 EARLY CHRISTIAN CHURCH HISTORY PROVES ROMAN CATHOLICISM FALSEby CAnswersTV13,956 views
- 44:55 Mundos perdidos : Los primeros cristianosby danielcap780,118 views
- 15:01 The first Christians-Documentary - Part.1by Samyaza Shemyazaz27,297 views
- 13:22 Flirting & Seducing Girls Prank - Just for Laughby PrankkWorld14,055 views
- 1:01 Candida Moss - Was Jesus a Socialistby dobredovody101 views
- 18:52 Chris Hedges: "America is a Tinderbox" - Pt 4 of 7by TheRealNews55,379 views
- 45:09 Lost Worlds Episode XI: First Christiansby HQarena9,518 views
- Loading more suggestions...