This video is unavailable.
Jesse Rosenfeld: media coverage of Gaza Flotilla massacre, part 1
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 23, 2010
IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN AND PALESTINE: UNDER SIEGE
THE LEGACY OF OCCUPATION AND THE CHALLENGES FOR INDEPENDENT MEDIA IN THE MIDDLE EAST
June 21, 2010 at the Beit Zatoun House, Toronto
While the 3-year-old siege of Gaza has been brought into dramatic focus of late, the 12-year embargo of Iraq that crippled the economy and wrought havoc on civil society continues in another form, post-invasion. At the same time, the ongoing war in Afghanistan has taken a terrible toll on its beleaguered population. The massive $1 billion security and military presence in Toronto this month for the G20 will protect the very world leaders who are overseeing wars and occupations that have cost trillions of dollars, and countless innocent lives. Independent media has a crucial role to play in exposing the reality of war and daily life in Iraq, Palestine and Afghanistan... Severe restrictions on visas and mobility for foreign and domestic journalists, as well as threats from government and paramilitary forces, hamper efforts to report reality on the ground.
rabble.ca blogger Derrick O'Keefe, New Internationalist co-editor and author of Dancing in the No Fly Zone, Hadani Ditmars, and Carmelle Wolfson and Jesse Rosenfeld of The Daily Nuisance discuss opportunities for breaking the siege of indifference and reporting from occupied lands.
As settlements expand across Jerusalem and Israel's military occupation in the West Bank and Gaza intensifies, Palestinians are on the edge of a new popular revolt. Israel continues its crippling siege of Gaza, paving way for the brutal attack on a humanitarian aid mission into the Strip that took place this month.
Palestinian citizens of Israel are also feeling the pressure as urban renewal and gentrification is used as a pretext to force them out of their historic cities, while the government passes laws to criminalize public discussion of their identity and history. Meanwhile repression against Palestinians and Israeli solidarity activists continues, as does the Palestinian Authority collaboration with Israel.
Behind the regular headlines of tense relations between Israel and the US over settlements The Daily Nuisance www.thedailynuisance.com is exposing the on the ground reality and impact on those living in Israel/Palestine through photography, video, print, news, analysis and opinion.
While international mainstream news filters out and misinterprets local voices, TDN uses English to present local perspectives to an International audience. The editorial collective is comprised of Palestinian, leftwing Israeli and international journalists and media makers.
Jesse is a Canadian print and video journalist based out of Ramallah and Tel Aviv-Jaffa since 2007. He is the print editor of The Daily Nuisance and has written from the Middle East for The Guardian, The Nation, The National (Abu Dhabi English language newspaper), Haaretz English, The Washington Report on Middle East Affairs, NOW Magazine, Z Net and Electronic Intifada. He has also blogged forAllvoices.com, Mondoweiss and produced video content for The Daily Beast and The Real News.
Sponsored by the New Internationalist, rabble.ca, The Daily Nuisance and Canadian Peace Alliance
Video Production: Anita Krajnc
Standard YouTube License
- 9:55 Jesse Rosenfeld: media coverage of Gaza Flotilla massacre, part 2by rabble.ca News for the rest of us 428 views
- 4:26 Jimmy Carter unveils truth about Israelby newmedia7 867,754 views
- 2:32 Nuns are onboard Lebanese Gaza aid flotillaby 91177info 1,595 views
- 4:45 WAKEUP Iran does NOT want to attack Israel and here is what would happen if they didby 91177info 12,221 views
- 6:08 ZIONISTS WON'T LET YOU SEE THIS ON YOUR TVby theevilofthezionists 1,259,996 views
- 14:58 Friends of Israel — Enemies Inside the Gatesby Anthony Lawson 107,545 views
- 3:56 Israeli Border Police Destroy Vegetable Fields in Al Baqa'a Valleyby Christian Peacemaker Teams 11,683 views
- 7:14 WARNING Israel's actions are a danger to the United Kingdomby 91177info 4,859 views
- 1:17 ..FORWARD asap..Israeli spies posing as cia..I cant believe this is trueby bret martin 1,038 views
- 6:38 McKinney: 'Israel bought the executive branch'by RTAmerica 22,009 views
- 8:58 Gaza 2009: We Will Never Forgetby TheParadigmShift 177,649 views
- 5:12 Real News journalist attacked at Toronto G20by TheRealNews 95,429 views
- 11:38 Gaza Flotilla Attacked: Israeli troops storm aid ships, up to 20 feared deadby RussiaToday 209,663 views
- 15:01 Iran Bashing, Terrorism and Who Chose The Chosen People, Anyway?by Anthony Lawson 197,558 views
- 9:36 IDF Boarding Gaza Aid Flotillaby Willie Tomg 234,854 views
- 3:47 Disturbing DELETED EVIDENCE for 911 ISRAEL connectionby bret martin 2,288 views
- 26:32 Mosaic News - 6/21/10: World News From The Middle Eastby linktv 464 views
- 3:27 "Sheer Criminal Aggression" Israel's Attack on Gaza Flotilla Chomsky Says "No Credible Pretext"by Representative Press ☞ 29,660 views
- 10:03 Omar Barghouti discusses BDS 27-06-2010.wmvby planxtysumoud 532 views
- 1:08 AUSTIN,,TEXAS..CARES.ABOUT.PALESTINE!!!--flotilla_protest_gaza_texas.wmvby annebeck58 1,117 views
- Loading more suggestions...