Sunshine Village Access Road Public Safety Issues - Banff National Park
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 6, 2013
March 02, 2013 - Parking congestion on the Sunshine Access Road in the Healy Creek Valley of Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
Sunshine Village Ski & Snowboard Resort uses the public road to park customer vehicles. Coaches, cars, trucks, semi-truck and trailer units and emergency vehicles use this road to access the ski area. The ski resorts customers are dropped off at designated "zones" and are left to find their way to their vehicles while sharing the narrow winding road with the traffic - often on blind corners with obstructed visibility and insufficient safe room for two-way traffic plus pedestrians.
Sunshine Village's lawyer had the following to say about the Sunshine access road public safety and environment issues previously raised by Sunshine Village Watch:
"The information contained in the [SunshineVillageWatch.com] articles states or implies that Sunshine is encouraging or conducting chaotic, unsafe and environment-harming activity on the access road to the parking lot to its Ski Resort. It states or implies that Sunshine is discarding trash and waste along the access road. These statements, express or implied, are untrue, as Sunshine has not converted the access road into a parking lot and is not parking cars or conducting any activity but rather works with Parks Canada to improve safe parking on the access road. Sunshine does not promote its customers to park on any lands other than those leased by it, however, it does not have the ability or responsibility to control where its customers ultimately decide to park their vehicles. Sunshine is dedicated to environmental stewardship, which includes retrieval of waste. It cannot control or monitor others' discarding of waste on the access road." ~Field Law, Calgary (July 11, 2012)
The road is also intended to provide access to national park back-country areas and the Healy Creek trail but there is no parking available for those park users if Sunshine Village wants it. Even the Healy Creek trailhead parking gets taken up by the Sunshine Village parking overflow - 8km from the ski area base facilities.
This is what passes for public safety, road safety, environmental leadership and a world-class" "visitor experience" in Canada's Banff National Park.
Sunshine Village says it only happens a few days a year during peak periods. These pictures were taken on a mid-season weekend in early March.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Big Yellow Taxi" on
- 35:03 Horgasm - A Love Storyby ShredbotsOFFICIAL1,159,269 views
- 37:00 Shoulder cliff (ride to Back Door) - Sunshine Village, Banff, Alberta, Canada, March 2012by lopht121,835 views
- 3:35 Official Slush Cup 2012 | Sunshine Village | Ski & Snowboard Banff, Canadaby Sunshine Village21,767 views
- 1:32:21 burn PRESENTS: We Ride - The Story of Snowboarding (Full Movie)by burn746,508 views
- 23:03 The Balance of Powderby islandlakecatskiing970,810 views
- 6:12 GoPro Hero 2 HD - Skiing in Banffby Kurt Brownridge230 views
- 7:03 GoPro: Skiing in Banff Canada, Part 1by blakos17414 views
- 4:04 Ski Big 3 -- Skiing in Banff National Park, Alberta, Canadaby Beyond Content1,200 views
- 6:27 Banff Snowboarding 2013 Sunshine Village Lake Louise Bailsby TheBtimes215 views
- 14:28 2012 - Banff National Parkby Steve Tollington20,548 views
- 6:25 Sunshine Village Ski Resort - Alberta, Canadaby skicanadanow888 views
- 15:09 Part 8 Kanada (Canada Jasper NP,Banff NP,Yoho NP)by Nurettin Yilmaz4,480 views
- 6:05 Ski Big at the Sunshine Village Ski Resort - Alberta, Canadaby skicanadanow1,220 views
- 1:59 Cougar Creekby Glen Crawford47,916 views
- 7:21 Sunshine Village Ski Goats Eye Blueby Craig Pitchford3,894 views
- 4:52 Sunshine Village snowboardingby Eric Mcmanus2,583 views
- 48:22 Never Not Part 2by NikeSnowboarding569,556 views
- 4:45 First Time Skiing Delirium Dive, Sunshine Villageby Ben Lokhorst2,062 views
- 4:19 Sunshine Village & Banff, Alberta, Canada - The SnowShowby SnowSeekersInc3,737 views
- 4:26 Electrical Cardioversion - Hidden Camera in the E.R.by CelestialPanache11,999 views
- Loading more suggestions...