Exclusive Julian Assange Interview With Cenk Uygur (12/22/10)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 22, 2010
Cenk Uygur (host of The Young Turks) interviewed WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange on MSNBC's Dylan Ratigan show. They discussed critics of Assange, the treatment of Private Bradley Manning and more.
Portion of Transcript:
CENK: Well Julian I want to get to as much as possible here so I want to give you a chance to respond one by one to your critics, first to Mitch McConnell who is of course the leader of the Republicans in the Senate and to Joe Biden who both said that called you a high tech terrorist how do you respond to Joe Biden the Vice President of the United States saying that to you?
JULIAN: Well let's look at the definition of terrorism, the definition of terrorism is a group that uses violence or the threat of violence for political ends now no one in our four year publishing covering over 120 countries has ever been physically harmed as a result of what we've done. Now that's not just us saying that, that's the Pentagon saying that, that's NATO and Kabal saying that. No one, not a shred of evidence. Now believe me if they could find or even easily manufacture a shred of evidence they would be doing that immediately so it's clear that whoever the terrorists are here it's not us. But we see constant threats from people, Republicans in the Senate trying to make a name for themselves, to people like Sarah Palin to Shock Jocks on Fox and unfortunately some members also of the Democratic party calling for my assassination calling for the illegal kidnapping of my staff and just a few days ago on Fox that was the phrase that was used "illegal, he should be illegally murdered if necessary, assassinated by the law if possible if not illegally" what start of message does that send about the rule of law in the United States? That is conducting violence in order to achieve a political end the elimination of this organization or the threat of violence to achieve a political end the elimination of a publisher and that is the definition of terrorism.
CENK: Now I want to give you a chance to respond personally though because here Mike Huckabee is making it very personal you saw that quote we had up, he says "I think anything less than execution is too kind a penalty for you" Sarah Palin saying that you are like Al-Qaeda and the Taliban and that you should be pursued with the same urgency so how would you respond to Mike Huckabee who is a top Republican leader, likely to run for President again. How would you respond to Sarah Palin, top Republican leader who might run for President again?
JULIAN: Oh it's just another idiot trying to make a name for himself, but it's a serious business I mean if we are to have a civil society we cannot have senior people making calls on national TV to go around the Judiciary and illegally murder people that is incitement to commit murder that is an offense you cannot have senior people on national TV asking people to commit an offense. That is not a country that obeys the rule of law. Does the United States obey the rule of law, because Europeans are starting to wonder whether it is still obeying the rule of law and it needs to be very careful is it going to descend into an anarchy where we don't have due process where those great Bill of Rights traditions about due processes thrown to the wind whenever some shock jock politician just thinks that they can use it to make a name for themselves? Or do we take things according to laws expressly made by the people and their representatives that is the way things should be done and when people call for illegal deliberate assassination and kidnapping of others they should be held to account they should be charged for incitement to commit murder.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:45 iPhone, Blackberry and Gmail users are all screwed - A must watch videoby Lenin DevFeatured 123,554
- 3:16 Jane Hamsher: Private Manning Tortured?by TYTInterviews 8,821 views
- 12:20 MSNBC Panel On Lame Duck Congressby TYTInterviews 3,872 views
- 21:46 Bhutto - Rethink Review & Discussionby TYTInterviews 6,270 views
- 18:23 Net Neutrality - Obama Cavesby TYTInterviews 3,665 views
- 9 videos Play all Assangeby 52nenne
- 12:28 WikiLeaks chief Julian Assange talks to RTby RussiaToday 82,673 views
- 3:00 "9-11 Truthers Annoy Me"-Julian Assange,Wiki Leaks Founderby humanswin 178,844 views
- 10:58 Daniel Ellsberg fears a US hit on Wikileaks founder Julian Assangeby ntyranny1 52,557 views
- 28:01 Julian Assange's The World Tomorrow: Slavoj Zizek & David Horowitz (E2)by RussiaToday 229,070 views
- 13:12 Newsnight: Bailed Julian Assange live interview (16Dec10)by liarpoliticians2 58,790 views
- 4:39 Julian Assange Interview - The Guardian - Wikileaksby knowledgeempire 7,714 views
- 13:10 WikiLeaks' Julian assange: Facebook is CIA spying machineby Anarchitext 135,086 views
- 1:35 WikiLeaks To Expose Fox News?by TheYoungTurks 91,598 views
- 4:30 Assange: WikiLeaks will publish secret UFO reportsby RTAmerica 73,041 views
- The Young Turks 14,821 videos892K
- 28:01 Julian Assange's The World Tomorrow: Hassan Nasrallah (E1)by RussiaToday 356,572 views
- 4:39 Julian Assange on the Afghanistan war logs: 'They show the true nature of this war'by TheGuardian 122,848 views
- 10:16 'War on whistleblowers must end!' - Assange speech at Ecuador Embassyby RussiaToday 133,112 views
- 9:36 Ron Paul - Tool of the Illuminatiby HolzapfelNelson 133,145 views
- 13:57 WikiLeaks Julian Assange Insight w/ Andy Greenbergby TYTInterviews 7,393 views
- 14:43 'Rubber Stamp': Full Julian Assange speech after extradition rulingby RussiaToday 30,193 views
- Loading more suggestions...