Soros Exposed: Research on the Progressive Puppet Master
November 11, 2010 - 1:10 ET
For months, Glenn has been pulling back the structure progressives have worked decades to put in place. Beneath every layer lies one common thread: George Soros. Tonight on TV, Glenn presents an in-depth look at the Puppet Master, billionaire financier George Soros, one of the most powerful forces in the Progressive Movement. But don't just take Glenn's word for it. Read. Analyze. Do your own homework and come to your own conclusions - read below to fact check all the sources used on tonight's show.
Get more in Glenn's free email newsletter
- "It is sort of a disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out," (The Independent, June 3, 1993)
- "I admit that I have always harbored an exaggerated view of self-importance --to put it bluntly, I fancied myself as some kind of god or an economic reformer like Keynes or, even better, a scientist like Einstein," (The Alchemy of Finance, George Soros)
- According to friend Byron Wien (now with the Blackstone Group), "You must understand he thinks he's been anointed by God to solve insoluble problems. The proof is that he has been so successful at making so much. He therefore thinks he has a responsibility to give money away," (Time Magazine, Sept 1, 1997)
- "If truth be known, I carried some rather potent messianic fantasies with me from childhood which I felt I had to control, otherwise I might end up in the loony bin. But when I made my way in the world I wanted to indulge myself in my fantasies to the extent that I could afford."
- George Soros 60 Minutes Interview - 12/20/98 / Transcript:
KROFT: Are you religious?
Mr. SOROS: No.
KROFT: Do you believe in God?
Mr. SOROS: No.
KROFT: (Voiceover) Soros told us he believes God was created by man, not the other way around, which may be why he thinks he can smooth out the world's imperfections.
"THE MAN WHO BROKE THE BANK OF ENGLAND"
- "As September 15 wore on, George Soros's confidence that Britain would pull the pound out of the ERM was growing. It had been Stanley Druckenmiller who had thought the time ripe for making a bet against the sterling. He talked to Soros about doing something. Soros gave him the green light but urged his head trader to bet an even larger sum than Druckenmiller had in mind. And so Druckenmiller, acting for Soros, sold $10 billion worth of sterling... The next morning at 7:00, the phone rang at Soros's home. It was Stan Druckenmiller with news... While George Soros had slept, he racked a profit $958 million. When Soros's gains from other positions he took during the ERM crisis were tallied, he racked up close to $2 billion... It was this bet, this single act of placing $10 billion on the fact that Britain would have to devalue the pound, that made George Soros world famous," (SOROS THE UNAUTHORIZED BIOGRAPHY, pgs 5-6).
- "He famously shorted the British pound in 1992, wagering $10 billion on a drop in its value. In a desperate bid to keep its currency afloat, the Bank of England tried to buy up pounds as fast as Soros could dump them. However, as more and more investors followed Soros' lead and joined his efforts, the Bank of England eventually gave up. The British pound was devalued, launching a tsunami of financial turmoil from Tokyo to Rome. When it was over, millions of hardworking Britons confronted their diminished savings, while Soros counted his gains. He had personally made nearly $2 billion on the catastrophe," (The Shadow Party, pg. 4).
- Soros has said of this event: "I had no platform, so I deliberately [did] the sterling thing to create a platform. Obviously people care about the man who made a lot of money...my influence has continued to grow and I do have access to,"(Time Magazine, Sept 1, 1997)
- In 1997, during the Asian financial crisis, the then Malaysian Prime Minister, Mahathir bin Mohamad, accused him of bringing down the Malaysian currency, the ringgit, through his trading activities. In Thailand he was branded an "economic war criminal" who "sucks the blood from the people".