(Henry Mancini) Moon River - Sungha Jung
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 22, 2008
Sungha http://www.sunghajung.com plays 'Moon River' arranged by Ed Gerhard.
"Moon River" is a song composed by Johnny Mercer (lyrics) and Henry Mancini (music) in 1961, for whom it won that year's Academy Award for Best Original Song. It was originally sung in the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's by Audrey Hepburn, although it has been covered by many other artists. The song also won the 1962 Grammy Award for Record of the Year.
It became the theme song for Andy Williams, who first recorded it in 1961 and performed it at the Academy Awards ceremonies in 1962. He sang the first eight bars at the beginning of his television show and also named his production company and venue in Branson, Missouri after it. Williams' version was disliked by Cadence Records president Archie Bleyer, who believed it had little or no appeal to teenagers. Andy Williams' version never charted, except as an LP track, which he recorded for Columbia in a hit album of 1962.
The success of the song was responsible for re-launching Mercer's career as a songwriter, which had stalled in the mid-1950s because rock and roll replaced jazz standards as the popular music of the time. An inlet near Savannah, Georgia, Johnny Mercer's hometown, was named Moon River in honor of him and this song. The popularity of the song is such that it has been used as a test sample in a study on people's memories of popular songs.
Theme of Moon River composed by Henry Mancini and Johnny Mercer
Problems listening to this file? See media help.
Comments about the song have noted that it is particularly reminiscent of Mercer's youth in the Southern United States.
The song's most famous line, "...my huckleberry friend...", was not a reference to Mark Twain's Huck Finn. Rather, Mercer had originally titled the song "Blue River" (changing it only after recalling another song with the same title), and the initial lyrics contained many references to that color. Although Mercer dropped most of the blue references in his revised lyrics, he kept the huckleberry in simply because he liked how it sounded.
Standard YouTube License
- 50 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 3:37 (U2) With or Without You - Sungha Jungby jwcfreeFeatured 12,813,029
- 5:29 (Maurice Ravel) Bolero - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 320,597 views
- 4:00 (Titanic Theme) My Heart Will Go On - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 20,171,056 views
- 3:40 Canon - Trace Bundy & Sungha Jungby jwcfree 6,117,000 views
- 2:38 (Stevie Wonder) Superstition - Casper Esmann & Sungha Jungby jwcfree 310,998 views
- 41 videos Play all Instrumentalby teohyc
- 3:14 (Extreme) More than Words - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 14,528,902 views
- 6:47 (Metallica) Nothing Else Matters - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 8,193,840 views
- 1:51 (Movie Theme) Mission Impossible Theme - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 16,605,313 views
- 4:47 (Guns N' Roses) Sweet Child O'Mine - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 6,797,198 views
- 4:48 Wake me up when september ends - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 7,337,082 views
- 1:55 (Beatles) Blackbird - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 786,600 views
- 4:13 (Bruno Mars) Just The Way You Are - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 6,883,928 views
- 3:40 (Michael Jackson) Billie Jean - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 23,294,820 views
- 4:49 (Beatles) While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 776,513 views
- 3:37 (Kansas) Dust In The Wind - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 3,045,539 views
- 2:48 (Mason Williams) Classical Gas - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 830,340 views
- 2:57 (X-mas Carol) Silent Night/Holy Night - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 482,354 views
- 2:46 (Stevie Wonder) Isn't She Lovely - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 971,451 views
- 4:03 (Bruno Mars) Grenade - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 6,964,087 views
- 4:57 (Adele) Someone Like You - Sungha Jungby jwcfree 12,977,197 views
- Loading more suggestions...