They Found Atlantis [Science News]
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 13, 2011
A bunch of scientists think they've found Atlantis. In Spain, of all places. The city was apparently buried by a tsunami, which is a particularly scary concept given what happened in Japan yesterday.
To solve the age-old mystery, the team used a satellite photo of a suspected submerged city to find the site just north of Cadiz, Spain. There, buried in the vast marshlands of the Dona Ana Park, they believe that they pinpointed the ancient, multi-ringed dominion known as Atlantis.
The team of archeologists and geologists in 2009 and 2010 used a combination of deep-ground radar, digital mapping, and underwater technology to survey the site.
Freund's discovery in central Spain of a strange series of "memorial cities," built in Atlantis' image by its refugees after the city's likely destruction by a tsunami, gave researchers added proof and confidence, he said.
Atlantis residents who did not perish in the tsunami fled inland and built new cities there, he added.
There's a National Geographic special this Sunday that will reveal the whole project. It's called "Finding Atlantis."
March 12 2011
It has remained a tantalising mystery for thousands of years, but now a U.S. led research team believes it has found the legendary lost city of Atlantis.
They claim to have pinpointed the exact location of the metropolis under mud flats in southern Spain.
The team of archaeologists and geologists are convinced that Atlantis -swamped by a tsunami - is submerged just north of Cadiz.
Professor Richard Freund of the University of Hartford, Connecticut, who lead the international team, said: 'This is the power of tsunamis.
'It is just so hard to understand that it can wipe out 60 miles inland, and that's pretty much what we're talking about.'
The team used a satellite photo of a suspected submerged city to find the site then surveyed it with a combination of deep-ground radar, digital mapping, and underwater technology.
Buried in the vast marshlands of the Dona Ana Park they found a strange series of 'memorial cities,' built in Atlantis' image by the refugees who fled the destructive tsunami.
Atlantis residents who did not die built new cities inland, claimed Freund.
The team's findings will be unveiled on Sunday in 'Finding Atlantis,' a new National Geographic Channel special.
Freund said the 'twist' of finding the memorial cities makes him confident Atlantis was buried in the mud flats.
He said: 'We found something that no one else has ever seen before, which gives it a layer of credibility, especially for archaeology, that makes a lot more sense.'
Greek philosopher Plato wrote about Atlantis some 2,600 years ago, describing it as 'an island situated in front of the straits called the Pillars of Hercules.'
These pillars were known as the Straits of Gibraltar in bygone times.Using Plato's detailed account of Atlantis as a map, searches have focused on the Mediterranean and Atlantic as the best possible sites for the city.
Freund says tsunamis in the region have been documented for centuries with one of the largest reported in November 1755 hitting Lisbon with a 10-story tidal wave.
Debate about whether Atlantis truly existed has lasted for thousands of years. Plato's 'dialogues' from around 360 B.C. are the only known historical sources of information about the iconic city.
Plato said the island he called Atlantis 'in a single day and night... disappeared into the depths of the sea.'
Experts plan further excavations at the site where they believe Atlantis is and at the mysterious 'cities' in central Spain 150 miles away to more closely study geological formations and to date artefacts.
Atlantis has been 'discovered' many times in the past.
In 1997, Russian scientists claimed to have found it 100 miles off Land's End.
Three years later, a ruined town was found under 300ft of water off the north coast of Turkey in the Black Sea.
An American architect used sonar in 2004 to reveal man-made walls a mile deep in the Mediterranean between Cyprus and Syria.
In 2007, Swedish researchers claimed the city lay on the Dogger Bank in the North Sea, which was submerged in the Bronze Age.
And as recently as February of this year, what appeared to be grid-like lines that resembled city streets were spotted on Google Earth - in the ocean off the coast of Africa.
Sadly Google itself quickly debunked the suggestion, explaining that the lines were left by a boat as it collected data for the application.
Daily Mail Reporter
March 13 2011
Standard YouTube License
- 8:21 North Sentinel Island: Digging Deeperby Stuff They Don't Want You To Know Featured 53,237
- 27:29 Strange Events Happening Worldwide 2013by HiTechAddict682,468 views
- 15:31 Watch this and you'll know we're in END TIMES, RAPTURE IS IMMINENTby Seho Song756,508 views
- 3:44 ATLANTIS FOUND - Under the Sea pictures and locationby David Vose200,773 views
- 2:40:34 O MISTERIO DO TRIANGULO DAS BERMUDAS (completo - dublado br)by dubladinhoz252,949 views
- 1:24:41 El Triangulo De Las Bermudas 1x01by youtucine107,158 views
- 8:13 World's 10 Humans With Real Superpowersby Hybrid Librarian4,045,361 views
- 13:54 Atlantis Found Giant Sphinxes, Pyramids In Bermuda Triangle 2/2by oosveluzo levso147,787 views
- 2:29 Girl Frozen For 500 Yrs Looks Aliveby InformOverload9,435,816 views
- 1:51:06 La verdadera Historia: Sumeria y la Atlantidaby barbielippman551,391 views
- 1:40 BABY MERMAID BIRTH CONFIRMED!!!by billschannel17,595,022 views
- 49:48 Pure Science Specials - The Devil's Sea - Beyond the Bermuda Triangleby AlliantContent789,798 views
- 44:57 En busca de la Atlántida - La ciudad perdidaby jose miguel simarro sanchez19,209 views
- 1:19:52 El Triangulo De Las Bermudas Pelicula Completa1x03 (Spanishby youtucine308,905 views
- 46:49 Bermuda Triangle : Secrets and Mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle (Full Documentary)by Central University41,086 views
- 44:53 Atlantis: Lost World - Documentaryby BestDocumentaryTV118,504 views
- 58:43 Hollow Earth, Atlantis and Origin of Humans - Part One - Dawn Of The Gods (must see documentry).mp4by MrealTv387,765 views
- 5:10 Best Shark Attack Videoby kevin johnsen19,711,158 views
- 14:04 Piers Morgan Gets OWNED By Ben Shapiroby evelkidnievel783,207 views
- 2:30 GRAND CANYON - FORBIDDEN SPOT...!!by SIRKISANGANI458,497 views
- Loading more suggestions...