Prairie Dogs: America's Meerkats - Language
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 28, 2011
This program discusses Prairie Dog Language -- the most sophisticated animal language decoded so far. Con Slobodchikoff, Ph.D., and his students at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, researched the Gunnison's prairie dogs Alarm Calls for over 30 years to decode their language. Sonograms of all 5 species of prairie dogs suggest that they would not understand each other and each species has their own language. Each species also has Regional and Local Dialects.
There are 5 species of prairie dogs; the Black-tailed prairie dogs and the Mexican prairie dogs are the black-tailed group who have black tail tips, and the Gunnison's prairie dogs, the White-tailed prairie dogs, and the Utah prairie dogs are the white-tailed group who have white tail tips.
All prairie dogs live in the grasslands of western central North America, and all are social. They live in relative harmony within their social groups. All of the species are similar in their social behavior, although the black-tails are somewhat more social than the white-tails. Learn about a type of hibernation called Torpor that prairie dogs employ. See pups before they emerge from their natal burrows as well as in different stages of life (an average prairie dog lives 3-4 years), rare above ground mating, a lot of greet-kissing, territorial behavior from fighting and aggressive chases to social structure based on plant food sources on each territory, mutual grooming, and prairie dog personalities!
Prairie dogs are considered Keystone Species of their grassland ecosystems -- some 200 vertebrate species and a number of invertebrate species of animals depend on them for food or for their burrows. Prairie dogs survive in 1-2% of their historic range of habitat. Their numbers have declined drastically over the past 100 years to 1-2% of the number of animals there were historically. Agriculture, land development, target shooting and disease are the primary reasons for their continuing decline.
The Mexican prairie dogs are listed as Endangered (under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species -- CITES, as well as recognized by the Mexican government as at high risk of extinction), but are still being killed primarily for agricultural land interests. The Utah prairie dogs are listed as Threatened (under the United States' Endangered Species Act -- ESA), but they are being killed due to land development. The other three species need to be listed also in order to have some protection under the law. The Gunnison's prairie dogs are currently under review for listing under the ESA.
A number of prairie animals are at risk of extinction (as well as prairie dogs themselves) because prairie dog numbers are so low. Five animals that are dependent on prairie dogs and are at highest risk are Black-Footed Ferrets, Swift Foxes, Mountain Plovers, Burrowing Owls and Ferruginous Hawks.
Standard YouTube License
- 21:28 Prairie Dog Hunt | Dog Goneby Keith Warren53,450 views
- 8:15 Prairie Dog Hunt at Brown's Hunting Ranch on Midwest Outdoorsby Dennis Leppell9,253 views
- 1:07 Prairie dog yahooingby Filipe Pereira10,732 views
- 0:23 Prairie dogs kissingby freshbagel9,177 views
- 14:53 Nova Science Now : How Smart Are Dogs?by Ahmad Abdullah299,756 views
- 1:16:23 The Trinity: An Answer to Jehovah's Witnessesby Dave Flang16,266 views
- 3:02 World's Deadliest - Meerkats' Mob Ruleby NatGeoWild162,909 views
- 45:58 Most Aggressive Breedsby NatGeoWild1,878,655 views
- 22:24 North Dakota Prairie Dog Shooting | Savage Dogsby Keith Warren43,479 views
- 32 videos Play all Feel Itby ShibanaHime
- 8:53 Prairie Dogs: America's Meerkats - Social Lifeby prairiedogchatter9,247 views
- 34:43 Nonstop Funny dogs & catsby prasonglucky9,148,763 views
- 2:22 Richardson Ground Squirrel-the cutest and the smartest animal I ever had DownloadDownloadby Justina Smile23,843 views
- 10:40 Prairie Dogs: America's Meerkats - Conservationby prairiedogchatter4,776 views
- 3:56 Prairie Dog Up Close!by mrzha055,852 views
- 3:30 QI XL - What is the Prairie Dog Saying?by Akfilm926,037 views
- 3:20 Prairie dog "Barky" my prairie dog doing his happy yippee and grunting soundsby butterfliesinthesky11,875 views
- 5:01 Dogs just don't want to bath - Funny dog bathing compilationby Tiger Productions6,729,228 views
- 3:46 Prairie dog's baby&Cat 7 =more..more...(2)by suzunejp98,780 views
- 3:28 Black-footed Ferret vs. Prairie Dogby expeditionspatrick142,249 views