Space-Time And The Speed Of Light | Einstein's Relativity
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 5, 2010
http://facebook.com/ScienceReason ... Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity (Chapter 3): Space-Time And The Speed Of Light
The concept of spacetime combines space and time to a single abstract "space", for which a unified coordinate system is chosen. Typically three spatial dimensions (length, width, height), and one temporal dimension (time) are required. Dimensions are independent components of a coordinate grid needed to locate a point in a certain defined "space"
Please subscribe to Science & Reason:
In physics, spacetime (or space-time) is any mathematical model that combines space and time into a single continuum. Spacetime is usually interpreted with space being three-dimensional and time playing the role of a fourth dimension that is of a different sort from the spatial dimensions. According to certain Euclidean space perceptions, the universe has three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. By combining space and time into a single manifold, physicists have significantly simplified a large number of physical theories, as well as described in a more uniform way the workings of the universe at both the supergalactic and subatomic levels.
In classical mechanics, the use of Euclidean space instead of spacetime is appropriate, as time is treated as universal and constant, being independent of the state of motion of an observer. In relativistic contexts, however, time cannot be separated from the three dimensions of space, because the observed rate at which time passes for an object depends on the object's velocity relative to the observer and also on the strength of intense gravitational fields, which can slow the passage of time.
Special relativity is a theory of the structure of spacetime. It was introduced in Albert Einstein's 1905 paper "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" (for the contributions of many other physicists see History of special relativity). Special relativity is based on two postulates which are contradictory in classical mechanics:
1. The laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion relative to one another (principle of relativity),
2. The speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion or of the motion of the source of the light.
The resultant theory agrees with experiment better than classical mechanics, e.g. in the Michelson-Morley experiment that supports postulate 2, but also has many surprising consequences. Some of these are:
* Relativity of simultaneity: Two events, simultaneous for one observer, may not be simultaneous for another observer if the observers are in relative motion.
* Time dilation: Moving clocks are measured to tick more slowly than an observer's "stationary" clock.
* Length contraction: Objects are measured to be shortened in the direction that they are moving with respect to the observer.
* Mass-energy equivalence: E = mc2, energy and mass are equivalent and transmutable.
* Maximum speed is finite: No physical object or message or field line can travel faster than light.
The defining feature of special relativity is the replacement of the Galilean transformations of classical mechanics by the Lorentz transformations. (See Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism and introduction to special relativity).
Standard YouTube License
- 44:28 Surpassing the Speed of Light (FULL VIDEO)by Sky Faction Featured 154,616
- 4:40 E = mc² | Einstein's Relativityby ScienceTV176,572 views
- 9:11 Time Dilation | Einstein's Relativityby ScienceTV263,296 views
- 8:30 Einstein's Theory Of Relativity Made Easyby ScienceTV704,263 views
- 9:27 The Big Questions About Our Universeby ScienceTV61,105 views
- 2:02:40 ΑΛ ΤΣΑΝΤΙΡΙ ΝΙΟΥΖ S04-BEST OF LAKIS VOL.1-ΠΟΛΙΤΙΚΗ ΣΑΤΙΡΑby PloutarchosOfficial26,643 views
- 48:04 Albert Einstein- How I See the Worldby Nam Ngo3,523,382 views
- 9:23 Imagining the Fourth Dimensionby 10thdim684,207 views
- 12:01 What was there before the Big Bang?by euronews (in English)82,246 views
- 1:39:11 The Last Dragon | A Fantasy Made Realby Awqiyyah1,009,423 views
- 10:57 Space and Time into a single Continuumby Sarah Livesey122,948 views
- 0:34 The curvature of Space-Timeby Kurdistan Planetarium122,101 views
- 43:57 Тайна египетских пирамидby Виктор Фрост402,890 views
- 23:43 Higgs boson found, now what? (Inside Story - 5th July 2012) [HD]by TheNovadex80,051 views
- 10:59 Science v's God : Its The Collapse Of Physics As We Know itby IrresponsibleAtheism1,142,207 views
- 2:45 Black Holes and Worm Holesby m007417552,612 views
- 21 videos Play all Space-Timeby celtxty
- 9:18 The Shape of Timeby djsciman380,190 views
- 5:16 Sam Harris tears down Muslim apologetics.....again.by Dean Jones391,579 views
- 2:44 EPIC: Einstein's 4-D Time Theory Confirmed by NASAby The Daily Conversation242,762 views